Chapter 53

Arthur and Tess walked hand in hand towards the town hall building. Today was the day, they were leaving for Alacrya. They arrived at the town hall, the remaining Lances, the council, Elijah, Sylvie, and Arthur's mother and sister were right outside waiting.

"Hard to believe you're going on a mission dressed like that," Mica teased.

"Looks more like they're going out on a date night to me," Jasmine added with a small smirk.

"I wish they were going on a date night," Sylvie said sadly.

Since part of the mission was to be undercover, they were not wearing armor or uniforms, and their clothes were nicer than usual. Arthur was wearing a black pants with a brown belt, a black sweater over a white button up shirt, and dark blue sports coat and black boots. Tess was wearing a black sweater like dress with a thick brown belt around her waist, with black leggings and black boots. Elijah was standing by the other lances wearing brown pants and a white button down shirt.

Even though it was nearly the beginning of summer in Dicathen, it was fall in Alacrya, so dressing warmly like this was appropriate.

"We need to blend in. Unlike most cities in Dicathen, walking the streets in armor will attract way too much attention," Arthur replied.

"And this is how they dress over there?" Alduin asked.

"Close enough. We'll look like we have money, but won't attract too much attention. I don't want to risk being assumed to be a named or high blood. In the previous timeline I tried to dress more casually but ended up drawing more attention than when I dressed like this," Arthur replied.

"How does that make sense?" Bairon asked.

"Apparently I'm too handsome to not look like I come from money," Arthur said as he shrugged.

Bairon gave him a deadpan expression, but didn't bother questioning further. The others just seemed to be amused by Arthur's response.

Virion sighed as he looked at Tess. "Tessia, are you sure you want to do this? I'm sure Arthur can handle it on his own."

"Auntie Rhina said Arthur will need me. I don't know what I'll have to do, but I'll do whatever it takes to help," she said as she tightened her hold on Arthur's hand.

Merial and Alduin came up and hugged Tess tightly.

"Please be careful," Merial said, her worry obvious.

Alduin looked to Arthur, to which he nodded in response. Words weren't needed, his eyes said everything Arthur needed to hear.

"Alice," Virion said.

"Are you kidding me?!" Tess groaned with annoyance. "Couldn't you have done this in mine and Arthur's room? Not in front of everyone?"

"Sorry," Alice apologized as she stepped up. "Elder Virion asked me here while we were waiting for you two."

She placed a hand on Tess abdomen and her hand glowed green. As the glow subsided she shook her head then gave Tess a hug.

"Damn it brat, you two have been married a month now. Do you even know what you're doing?" Virion complained, causing a mixture of stifled laughter and embarrassment from those around.

Arthur gave him a deadpan look. "I know what I'm doing a lot better than you. Trust me, I'm just as surprised as you are." He then gave his mother and sister a hug.

He then knelt down in front of Sylvie.

"Please just let me come," she pleaded.

"No," he said sternly then sighed. "If this mission fails Dicathen will need someone who can reach higher than the lances to protect them." He then tapped the gold ring on her horn. "Also, we don't know how well this will work."