29. Awake and Alive.

Start from the beginning

"How do you feel?" Bellamy asked.

"My throat hurts, I have a headache, and my stomach kills, but I'm okay." Clarke smiled.

"Let me get you some more water." Bellamy said, standing up. But Clarke gripped his hand tighter, stopping him.

"Wait." Clarke said.

"What's wrong, do you need a nurse?" Bellamy said, panicking.

"No." Clarke smiled.

"What is it?" Bellamy asked, sitting down again. 

Clarke opened her mouth to speak but something stopped her. She closed her mouth again, took a deep breath and pulled on a smile. A smile that even Bellamy could tell wasn't completely real. She squeezed his hand. 

"Tell me about the trial." Clarke whispered. 

"Is that really what you wanted to ask me?" Bellamy raised a brow. 

"No, but tell me anyway." Clarke whispered. 

"Well, I got six months community service and a hefty fine, but it's nothing I can't handle." Bellamy smiled. He then went on to tell her how amazing Lexa was and how she'd more or less saved his life. He also told her how someone from Cage's team was also there. 

"He wasn't happy." Bellamy chuckled. 

"That must be how Cage found out. That's what made him so angry." Clarke nodded. 

Bellamy swallowed around a lump in his throat and nodded his head. 

"What happened? At the café." Bellamy asked. 

"Well, we were all waiting for Octavia's call when he came in, he smashed the door, which I'll have to pay for, he called me a stupid bitch and then he shot me. Then he just disappeared." Clarke shrugged. She was far too calm for Bellamy's liking. 

"Don't worry about the door, Monty's mom will have insurance." Bellamy shook his head. "I'm sorry I wasn't there, Clarke." 

Clarke gripped his hand tighter. "Don't be. It's not your fault." 

"And it's not yours either, remember that." Bellamy said, his thumb rubbed the soft skin on her hand. 

They fell into a comfortable silence. Bellamy simply watched Clarke, smiling softly to himself. He couldn't put into words how relieved and grateful he was to have Clarke sitting here in front of him, alive and awake. Looking into her blue eyes, Bellamy silently vowed that he'd never take another moment with Clarke for granted. He'd do everything in his power to make sure that she had a safe and happy life, whether that life involved him or not. 

"Why are you smiling at me?" Clarke said, her lips curving into a smile of her own. 

Bellamy pressed a kiss to the back of her hand. However, before he could answer, there was a knock on the door. Clarke called out for the newest visitor to come in, and Bellamy looked over his shoulder just as Octavia's head appeared around the door. 

"Hey, O." Bellamy said. 

"Hey, Clarke, you up for some visitors?" Octavia asked, smiling widely. 

"Who?" Clarke asked, her brows furrowing in confusion. Bellamy now realised that Clarke was completely unaware that her friends had been waiting in the corridor. 

Octavia opened the door and waved everybody in. Clarke's eyes widened as Lincoln, Murphy, Miller, Raven, Jasper and Harper filed into the room, all looking just as pleased as Bellamy felt to see Clarke awake. 

"What are you all doing here?" Clarke asked as Jasper wrapped an arm around her shoulders. 

"Are you kidding? We couldn't leave until we knew you were okay." Monty said. Clarke's eyes flicked over to him, her eyes widening when she spotted the blood stains on his t-shirt.