Chapter Forty-Four: Sander Goods

Author's Note

Not to worry! I live! Sort of. Sorry for the late update--the new year's been busy as all heck. Hopefully we can keep going at ~1 update per week and be done with Act II soon! 

Happy reading!

---

"Ba'an!" Merida's smile was wide and welcoming. Ba'an smiled stiffly, trying not to give herself away. Nikias' spies were loitering just down the road, and though they were not within earshot, they had a good view of the doorway.

"Merida. I hope you are not busy." Merida was already shaking her head, ushering Ba'an through the door.

"I'm never too busy for a friend!" Ba'an followed the older woman into her home, feeling awkward. Ba'an had never visited Merida without something to sell before, but today she was here for something else entirely; Ba'an had thought of this the entire way to Merida's apartment, but she could not think of any alternatives.

Ba'an needed to hide the coat somewhere that wasn't the estate. This much was clear; the one who had rifled through her things had been careless, as far as Ba'an could tell, but there was no guarantee she would be so lucky next time.

Once Ba'an was comfortably seated, Merida began to prepare a snack. Ba'an opened her bag, pulling out the jar of honey from her date. "We have something for you."

Merida's smile grew. "Honey!" She picked up the jar, clearly pleased. "In a glass jar—oh, you went to the shop along the stoa, didn't you? Ah, such a treat—my thanks." She set it down, her eyes twinkling. "'We'?"

Ba'an ducked her head, clearing her throat. "Yes. I picked it. Lukios purchased it. So it is from us."

To her credit, Merida did not cackle or even giggle, but Ba'an could tell by her expression that she was very delighted. "Ah ha! And how is that handsome young man of yours? I see he is not with you today."

"No. He is...working."

"Oh?" Merida took out a loaf of bread and began slicing it. She had a bowl full of nuts and...were those dried dates?

"Yes."

This time Merida did laugh. "My dear friend," she said between chuckles, "that meant 'what does he do for a living?' It is a polite way of snooping, you see, and I dearly love snooping. Not so much as fine honey on fresh bread, but close." True to her word, she was now spooning honey out into a bowl for dipping—or perhaps spreading?

Ba'an cleared her throat again, trying to act as naturally as possible; perhaps it was a normal thing to speak of one's romantic liaisons here?

Well, of course it was. The Dolkoi'ri boasted proudly of anything and everything, so why would relations be any different?

"I...see." Merida only continued to look deeply amused as she arranged the table. "He...ah. He was hired to...deal with the banditry." There. Surely that was enough?

Merida looked startled. "He—what?"

Ba'an looked at her and repeated herself, slowly. "He was hired to deal with the banditry."

Merida's mouth twitched. "Yes, but I mean—how so? I do not quite understand. He is a son of Helios, recently returned from the desert. What could he possibly do against bandits? I had thought he would be a politician and landlord. Most of them are."

"He will fight them." Ba'an paused. "Not alone. I mean he will help Strategos Gaios."

Merida raised an eyebrow. "He knows Strategos Gaios? Well—no, I suppose that does make sense. A Helios would be well-connected, and their sons always serve before they enter politics. It is how things are done here." Merida smiled at Ba'an's blank expression. "All politicians have a history of military service, Ba'an. A man who has not served his empire is no man, but a boy." She shrugged. "Is it not so in the desert?"