Chapter Forty-two: Arete, Part II

Author's Note

Gah! Almost made it, but not quite. Sorry, this week was way busier than I planned--holidays, amirite? Hope everyone had a great Christmas and/or other holiday of choice! =D

Quick reminder for those who have forgotten about Birduta, since it's mentioned in this chapter:

"A fat-ass. Probably couldn't charm a horny goat into his bed, never mind a woman."

"...Lukios. That is disgusting."

"It's just an expression, Ba'an. Though—come to think of it, I did hear that it's a common pastime in places like Birduta to—"

(From "Interlude: Stories")

This is not to say Birdutans all actually do this, though--expect typical Illosian attitudes toward, uh, everyone in this chapter! =D 

As a last note, my thanks to @CBMokedi for her consistent support--thank you! <3!

28/12/2022: Wrangled a rogue paragraph up to its proper spot! 

30/12/2022: My thanks to Anodyne for spotting an homonym error! Thanks! (Also changed the phrasing here and there to avoid using "something" so much!)

---

Breakfast was as awkward as Ba'an had expected.

Puzzled by the sudden appearance of flowers in her washbasin, Ba'an had decided to braid them into her hair. Her mysterious benefactor would surely react to seeing her wearing them, and then she would know who it was. It was really quite simple—except for the braiding. That was not so simple, because her hair was still damp and it was long. Ba'an half-wished Aika was there, if only for another pair of hands.

Thus, clean and dressed again, she set off for breakfast.

Without Aika to guide her, Ba'an resorted to simply asking directions as she wandered through the halls, as she did not know where breakfast would be served. The dining hall was empty, so she took a leisurely walk toward the gardens on a hunch.

The Dolkoi'ri did like their gardens; they had them indoors and outdoors.

Nikias was conversing with Leandros when Ba'an arrived. They were sitting comfortably on the open veranda that led into the garden; being breakfast, the setting was not quite so elaborate, though they had maintained their fondness for lounging chairs. Oddly, there were only three, though they were quite long and wide. They were piled high with cushions and throws, and Ba'an could hardly see the wood beneath it all. Were they sharing seats?

...Was that proper? Or was she expected to sit with Arete?

Leandros looked exactly like Gaios, but younger. He was also at an age that allowed him all his hair; they sat in gleaming, inky-black curls that Ba'an was certain must be fashionable elsewhere. Ba'an noted that his hair was longer than any of the other men, Lukios included; if he were to ever write or set himself to work, he would have to tie it back to keep it from falling over his eyes.

He did not have Gaios' stern bearing, either. His face was too open and friendly, and the lines softer. He did not have the look of a military man.

Even Nikias looked more accustomed to hard living than Leandros. How curious.

"Well, hello, hello!" Leandros smiled, but Ba'an did not like the way he looked at her: he ran his eyes from her feet to her head, then down again, as if he was assessing a cow at market. It was offensive, and she stiffened. "That's Lukios' Sander woman, right?" He winked at her as though he hadn't referred to her like furniture. "Kind of skinny, isn't she? Then again, beggers can't be choosers."