Chapter Twenty-three: Reunion

K'Avaari Glossary:

Kita-vuti: The children's home. It's basically K'Avaari daycare, since all adults in a tribe have to work. There are some other socio-cultural implications here, but we won't be getting into that until later! =D

---

The dinner was outside, in the evening sun. Kyros was near the desert, though not so dry; daylight came early and died late, and the weather was nearly always good. Illos was an empire blessed by the sun, rather than ravaged by it.

Well of course it was. This had been K'Avaari land, a long, long time ago. The Dolkoi'ri had taken the entire southern reach and pushed her people into the desert—Sanders. That's what they called the People now, but it had not always been so.

The Dolkoi'ri were very talented at taking the bounty of others for themselves.

The thought darkened her brow, so she chased it away. This was a celebration. Instead, she looked at the sprawling beauty and wealth—more wealth than she could hope to own in three lifetimes, never mind one—and decided she would enjoy herself.

It was a beautiful home.

The courtyard smelled incredibly good. The air smelled of fresh, running water and flowers—all sorts of flowers. She had only seen such big, bright flowers in passing, scurrying past them in the streets to avoid being robbed or targeted, but now she could linger and enjoy the softness of their petals and their smell. Their scent in the air was light and sweet, like nectar on her tongue, and their colours were vivid and varied, vibrant against the green of their leaves.

And the food. There was a great deal of food, more food than a K'Avaari gathering of this size would hold. From her spot in the garden Ba'an could gaze into the kitchen through the open windows, and the sheer number of servants and the volume of food being prepared was overwhelming. When she walked closer to the kitchen, the smell of meat and bread mingling with the sweeter smell of fruit made her belly grumble.

This was the difference between K'Avaari and Dolkoi'ri: one was scrappy, eking out a living in the bosom of the hot red sands, while the other was indolent, living lavishly in the light of a much gentler sun.

She turned away from the kitchen and approached the square.

The garden square was cobbled, with a stone fountain built against the perimeter wall. It was very cleverly made, and Ba'an knew there must be pipes beneath the ground: the centerpiece was a naked woman pouring water from an urn into the basin at her feet.

It was here that they would sit and dine, though Ba'an stopped by the fountain in confusion.

The arrangement was very strange. There were long chairs that could not truly be called chairs, having low arms and long seats. They seemed almost like small beds, and they were arranged so that those seated could look and speak with each other and the garden while eating. There were small, short tables placed throughout, and Ba'an guessed the servants would bring the right food to the right tables at the right times.

It all seemed overly complicated for a single meal. The guests had already arrived and were engaged in what seemed a lively conversation; someone must have told a joke, because there was a round of laughter in response. Ba'an remained standing in the shadow of the fountain, awkward and lost.

Should she approach? Or...was she supposed to wait for them to invite her? She did not think they would—they had not even noticed her. They were too busy talking and laughing together.

"Ah, lady Ba'an. How is your room? Is it to your liking? Please, let me know if there is anything you require."

Gaios had also changed, though he was still without much ornament. He was wearing a pristine toga, and Ba'an could tell at a glance that the fabric was very tightly woven. It would feel very soft and smooth to the touch, and it had likely cost more than Ba'an made off her curatives all year. It was draped in such an elaborate way that Ba'an could not begin to guess at how it had been done.