8. Car Accident

The fresh cool air rippled past Spidey's form as he whipped through the sky, flipping and thwiping along in pure bliss of City-B.

Oh how he loved this, being free as a bird and flying wild with the wind as he sailed high amongst the twinkly lights of skyscrapers, making it almost look like a sky of stars from up high in the air.

With no limitations and no rules to bind him, he dove and twirled around in joy, the biggest of grins plastered across his face under the mask. It was like his own personal thrill ride, swinging and leaping around, feeling the effects of gravity pull at his body.

'Ah this is the life,' he thought, flipping over onto his back and letting himself free fall down towards the ground. If he closed his eyes, it almost felt like he was floating amongst clouds, but the familiar tingle from his spider-sense reminded him that this wasn't the case, and with a quick shot of a web, he turned himself around, snapping back to reality.

The moon was out big and bright tonight as he sailed along, it's shimmery light catching Spidey's form as he moved past like a shadow of the night, blending in with the darkness, resembling that of a sneaky predator on the hunt.

Before long, he came into view, he sped up, making his way across the streets, along with the many lit up cars flowing down below.

He propelled himself along, feeling the rush of fresh air whistle past him, closing his eyes in contentment for a second, just before his spider-sense burst to life in his head.

Startled, he snapped himself out of it - becoming alert. But it was too late.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion, as Spidey saw the car heading straight for his speeding form, headlights blinding him as they shone in his eyes, and the terrified, shocked faces of a woman and her son.

Smash!

Metal and glass cracked and dented as Spidey's body collided head on with the vehicle, pain racing its way up his body, flaring up around his leg and abdomen. But it didn't end there.

He bounced straight off the front of the car, flying to the left, slamming his back and head violently against the side of a truck, before falling towards yet another car that hit him in the chest. His body then made contact with the tar, as he rolled against the ground, cars screeching and pounding on the breaks as they tried desperately not to run over their wounded hero.

A car passed over the top of him safely, before also coming to a skidded halt, the street becoming eerily quiet for a split second, as all the cars banked up and stopped.

Then, all hell broke loose.

Spidey was barely aware of what was going on around him, as his beaten and bruised body lay in the middle of the road, his chest heaving and coughing as he took in a deep, painful breath as the air finally came back into his lungs.

He hacked and wheezed as he tried to get back in control of his breathing.

Then, someone screamed, followed quickly by another scream, followed by many shouts and voices.

Spidey couldn't make sense of it all, as he tried to focus his dizzy head, fighting not to pass out.

Then, there were running footsteps, and the sound of someone thudding down next to him, before the extremely distressed face of the woman he recognised as being the one driving the car came into his view.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" she said, panicking, moving from holding her hands out shakily towards his wounded form to cupping her mouth with them, unsure of what to do.

Spidey tried to reply, but a horribly painful moan was all that made its way out of his throat, as he took another heaving breathe.

"It's alright, it's alright," a man suddenly said, appearing in Spidey's vision on the other side of him, obviously talking to the woman, before looking down. "Someone call 911!" he yelled out over his shoulder, ahead of quickly placing a hand on Spidey's chest.

"Spider-Man, can you hear me?" he asked, looking into his masked face, searching for any kind of response. Spidey moaned again. It was all he could do to reply in his shocked state.

"It's my fault. It's all my fault," the woman said, bursting into hysterics, before someone quickly came up behind her, and held her shoulders comfortingly.

"Where does it hurt?" the man asked him, Spidey taking a second to register the question.

"Ugh, everywhere," he managed to choke out, swallowing heavily, before having another shuddering breath.

The man laughed slightly, "Yeah, I get that, but more specifically?" he asked.

"Ah stomach, abdomen, right leg, ribs," Spidey started elaborating, listing things off, "my neck, and..., and I feel dizzy," he finished.

The woman sobbed, "Please, someone, he's in pain, someone give him something for the pain, help him," she begged.

Spidey felt a pang of sorrow in his heart for this poor woman, who was feeling responsible for hurting him, but there wasn't much he could do to reassure her that he would be fine in his current condition.

Suddenly, there were someone's hands under his chin, pulling the mask up. Spidey started to panic, kicking his legs out slightly before his head was carefully lifted, and a hand slipped two fingers in his mouth, resting something against the back of his tongue.

"What?" Spidey thought, before cool and wet liquid washed into his mouth, and they let go of the small object. Spidey instantly gulped, swallowing hard before the fingers even had a chance to be completely removed from his mouth, as something hard and smooth slipped down his throat.

"It's alright, it went down - he swallowed it. That will help with the pain," someone from behind him said kindly, before their hands moved to cup the back of his skull, causing him to flinch, feeling around the bump there, as they then began to run gently down his slender neck.

"I can't feel any major damage, but he's got one nasty bump on his head, and may have a bit of whiplash," the person said again.

"Thank you, thank you!" the woman said, sounding heavily relieved, before Spidey felt another hand come to rest on his belly.

"He's got a nasty gash on his side here, and probably some heavy bruising, and his leg doesn't look too good." The hands then moved up his ribs, causing him to whimper and gasp, flinching away from the touch. "Possibly a few broken ribs too," they added.

"Has anyone got a cloth or some warm water?" yet another voice asked, before there were a number of words exchanged, and something warm and wet was placed against his belly.

It was at that moment, that Spidey realised what was going on. They were caring for him, taking care of him, treating his wounds into their own hands before the ambulance even got there.