Chapter 17

The atmosphere went silence again. Yahwi was silently touching his phone after he brings to the nearest convenience store and next thing I knew, he already brought me an ice cream.

"Uh, thank you for this," I said and he nodded. "What are you doing?" I asked because I'm curious kung sino yung tinetext niya.

"My girlfriend."

"Ah," my heart tightened so I couldn't say anything. I eat my ice cream again. So... I thought this whole thing was because he still see me, the way he see me before. I guess, I jumped in conclusion because... Maybe this was just a closure nalang. For me nalang siguro because he seemed... Fine now. Good for him and bad for me.

"I brought that ice cream para ma cheer up ka but it seems like you gotten more sad."

It's because of what you said. Maybe this was the last time we could see each other again.

"It's just because," I said with a long face. This day was really against to me. I hate it.

He chuckled and wipe the ice cream on then side of my lips.

"I was just joking, Maiana," he said. "You're still messy eater."

"You're joking about the sad thing or the cheer up thing?"

"No, princess. About the girlfriend thing."

"Ah."

"I texted my mom to tell her that I'm with you right now," sabi ni Yahwi. "Yole missed you a lot."

I laughed. "Is it really her or is it just you?"

He bit his lower lip and leaned in on the table. "What if I told you both?"

A smile instantly escape from my sadness earlier and I rolled my eyes.

"Apology accepted."

"What?"

"Your email. I read it, just so you know that you're forgiven."

Napasandala ko sa kinauupan ko at umiwas ng tingin niya. "I think a simple apology via email wasn't enough from all shits I've done. I literally ruined your life."

"No. I ruined your life—"

"You don't have to blame yourself so you could lessen a bit guilt for myself," I look at him. "If only I wasn't an obsessed with academic validation. We still could have been friends, right? E 'di sana hindi ka na nagalit sa 'kin at umalis ng isang taon."

"I didn't leave because I was mad of you. I'll never be mad at you, I'll never be mad at someone I like."

"I know—" I paused when his words process on my mind. He was staring at me.

"As a friend," he added after a long silence.

Napayuko ako at napatango ng tahimik. Huh, as a friend. Tumayo ako at kinuha ang mga gamit ko.

"Where are you going?" Tanong niya.

"Uuwi. Thanks for the ice cream," I said and left him there. You shouldn't feel anything, Maiana. It's just him and his words.

I guess... This is really good bye.

***

"Hey, not in a mood?"

I nodded. "But I'm fine, mom. Just thinking about something," I said and make a space for my mom so she could sit beside me and she did. "How's your vacation with your friends?"

She smiles. "It was good."

"That's good."

"Gab..."