Chapter 32: Balance

Art: Nanri on twitter 

"Balance." Yoru hummed as he placed a finger on his chin, looking up at you and the board in front of him with his eyebrows furrowed and arms crossed on his chest as he sat down on the edge of your bed. 

"Yeah... If we find a way to balance the worlds... Then both will survive." You said pointing the stick in between the two drawings plastered on the board. "We just need the radianite to be equally sustainable on both worlds... In which case... Everyone can live." You explained as you tried to convince your somewhat conflicted boyfriend to join hands with you in finding a solution to the end of the world. 

You smiled as you raised your eyebrows waiting for his approval. "Eh? eh?" You tapped a chopstick on the board as your hands made a sort of 'tadaa!' shake with imaginary confetti flying out of them. 

"And this is Viper's plan?" He asked, tilting his head to the side, still unsure of what he can do to help. Keeping your secret was a given. But you asking him for help was a whole other thing that he should probably think of doing before acting out on it. 

"Well- no." You paced around the room, trying to find the right words to describe how Viper rejected your plan altogether when you proposed it years ago as a child. You were unsure of how to tell him that Viper's plan was to let his world die, along with the people in it, in order to save the Earth. "Viper... Probably found it too difficult for everyone to get along..."

"So... This is your plan?" He asked. 

"Yeah- exactly.." You said, quite quickly with a tad bit of nervousness and excitement behind your words. "ugh I don't know..." You sighed, frustrated with the guilt consuming you. You went to this world with the sole purpose of destroying it.. What's stopping you..? Yoru..? Or maybe it was the family that you made here... Why is it so hard to let go of them, even going to lengths such as rationalizing your actions just so you can make sense of it yourself- It's as if... It's as if you've grown attached...

You shouldn't have... With all the lies you've done and all the mishaps you've caused... Do you really think the family you made here will ever forgive you for that..? What will they do when they find out that you've been messing around... You knew yourself that some, if not most of them looked up at you... It's only when you came here that you were recognized to be... Who you truly wanted to be. A respected agent.

Yoru held his hand out, pulling you closer to him. He looked up at you with a soft smile on his face. "Hey.. Don't worry too much about it... You know I'll always be on your side no matter what." He whispered, assuring you as he wrapped his hands around your waist. "Just tell me what to do my lady.."

--------------------------------------------------

Neon sipped from a can of iced tea while opening her lunchbox of adobo with rice on the side. She stared, silently eating her food as Jett blabbered on about how weird it was that she hadn't seen you and Yoru during the goodbye party yesterday. 

"I swear those two are always training! It's almost unfair how much they train but still manage to fail to clutch under pressure- Okay hey- I'm not saying Y/n sucks- But she's really gotta work on those nerves.. And Yoru- Yoru.. Ahh.. Who am I kidding? The man's too confident for his own good. What exactly do they need 14 hours of training for huh?? And how come they train for more than half of the day but I never see them in the arena???" She kept on blabbering as Neon's mind strayed further away from the conversation. 

It wasn't like it was any of her place to say anything about those two anyways... What she's really been thinking of these days were much more... complicated topics. She rests her cheek on her palm as her fork stabbed repeatedly right through a piece of chicken. Her eyes bored and her ears rang from her thoughts. Why is it that she felt so lonely in this world..? Everyone's got each other... Yet she herself had no one... Was love not an option for the electric filipina? 

Jett sighed before gulping down a cup of water. "I'm sorry... It's just... me and Grant have been having troubles lately and.. It's sort of affecting me..."

Her thoughts came to an abrupt stop as she managed to draw her focus back to the conversation at hand. Neon sighed with her. "Haynako.. I know bestie... I've been hearing about it the whole week... It's like you won't shut up about him.. If you hate him so much, why don't you just leave him? He sucks anyways- You deserve better." Neon suggested before eating a spoon full of adobo and rice.

"He.. He doesn't suck..." Jett mumbled before silently eating a piece of her kimchi. Yes, Phoenix maybe irritatingly charming but he was just far too... exhaustingly friendly to everyone... It's as if he's in love with everyone and it's really starting to get in Jett's nerves... The way he smiles at everyone exactly like the way he smiled at her... She's never been one to be possesive of her lovers but he was just... Irritating. 

"Who doesn't suck?" You asked, slowly creeping up on both of them. Yoru behind you, drinking chocolate milk inside a carton. He had his other hand inside her pockets as he stared at the two girls blankly. 

"Eek!" Jett shrieked, not expecting you to come out of nowhere. 

"Where were you guys?? You weren't at the goodbye party right?" Neon butted in, sipping her iced tea afterwards, curious as to what in the world the both of you are up to these days. 

"Oh we were-" You were about to answer by yourself when suddenly Raze answered it for you. 

"Training?" She asked, standing behind all of you while holding Killjoy's hand. Killjoy chuckled as she raised an eyebrow at the two of you before sitting down right next to Neon, softly letting go of Raze's hand. "They sure were training alright.. seemed pretty interesting how training sessions moved from the Arena to Yoru's room..." Killjoy joked as she nudged Raze to sit down in front of her. 

"Ohhhh So that's why I barely see you in the Arena- You guys train in Yoru's room?? How does that even work..." Jett said, completely clueless about what everyone else in the room understood. 

Neon laughed as everyone tried to hold theirs in. You were far too flustered to defend yourself... The only plausible action you could do was look at your partner for help but... As soon as you turned to Yoru, you realized he was way more flustered than you were, with his face pale and his ears red as he looked away from the crowd, still sipping on a paper straw, helpless. 

Oh god since when did everyone realize...?

-------------------------------------------------------

The screen sizzled with static noise consuming most of the sounds coming out of your laptop. A look on Sabine's face, one you've rarely seen on her, told you all you needed to know, As well as the horrible connection. There was no problem with the wifi at headquarters. In fact, HQ had one of the best internet in the whole world. This could only mean one thing. 

"Portal... szzz... Not enough radi.... szzz... Y/n-" Was all Sabine's hologram could mutter before completely disappearing from your sight. 

You bit your dry lips as your fingers scratched right through your arms from the anxiety. You only had a few days left... a few before... before everyone in the world you loved and lived in was at the mercy of death. You had no idea what was going to happen to you if the world dies.. but you definitely had no intention of finding out. 

---------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: Noticed a few details..? ^^ 

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT AND LOVE YOU'VE GIVEN TO THIS STORY- T^T oops i'm screaming crying now- No but seriously- Thank you so much :'DD You guys are the primary reason why I kept on writing and I sure do hope you guys are ready for the next few chapters cuz- I gotta admit- I was wrong for this HAHAHAHAHAH <333