Chapter # 1

Drag Queen Grifters

By R.Allen Lancaster 2023

The interior of a noisy disco-tech bar carries positively pulsating energy from upbeat house music through speakers and patrons. The only negative waves within conduct the electricity to lighting, sound, refrigerators and registers. The bar lined with varied peoples communicating loudly to others. So many on the small dance floor it resembles a happy mosh-pit bouncing into one another. Jerry and Jeff right in the middle beers in hands dressed in rock shirts and skinny jeans adorned with assorted scarves tied around the legs. Their hair almost back to shoulder length bops about to the beats.

Jerry turns from Jeff syncing up movements with a slender figure in black unitard with flowing long black hair. Jeff also swivels about cupping the hip of a similarly shaped and dressed person donning a bright red wig and sly grin. The two pairs almost move in unison finishing out the tune.

As the tune ends Jerry leans into his partner, "nice moves Melvin. I'm just gonna grab a fresh beer."

"You too Jerry," Melvin winks, "get my man back now." he remains moving on the floor.

Jeff's ready for a break too, "that was actually fun man. Thanks Pete for dragging us out here, never thought I'd have a blast at a drag show."

Adjusting the red curly wig Pete nods, "told you, just a bunch of guys having a good ol time."

"Yeah, everyone's so damn happy can't help but smile." Jeff turns to join Jerry at the bar, "can't believe I actually went dancing with a bunch of guys, and am enjoying myself."

"Of course hun," a true 'flamer' winks and smiles in passing.

Downing the barley remnants Jeff sidles between Jerry and a casually dressed patron.

Jerry pushes over slightly to make room, "fuck these guys are a lot of fun."

"Yeah," Jerry sets the empty bottle on the bar-top, "shoulda come out a month ago with them when they first offered."

"No doubt," Jerry recalls other local establishments visited since moving to the city they left in varied ways: Too old of patrons, too rowdy of patrons, too snobby of patrons. Along with the drunken ways, tossed out for being too drunk, annoying or broke. "And these guys are still our best source for drugs."

"And decent with prices too," Jeff signals the bartender for another beer, "you don't think we're going too far are you?"

"What? Nah-I'm okay with someone buying me drinks for a change." Knowing their funds are tight Jerry inquires, "You get any leads on a job yet?"

"No," Jeff straightens up as the bartender dressed in Chip'n'Dale attire brings down two open beers, "I'll try that temp agency tomorrow since it worked out for you."

"You should," Jerry slides his empty bottle towards the bartender indicating another.