Old Wounds

A/N: This chapter contains scenes uncomfortable for some readers. Trigger warnings. And harsh words

Angel's pov*******

Lunch was fantastic. Mrs. Lenard sure knew how to cook a fine meal. Yum!

I decided it was time to head home. After bidding Medusa goodbye, changing into my school uniform (since I can't leave it here), and doing everything else that needed to be done (A/N: I dunno what to write ), I and Sam decided to walk home... Since my bike had been dropped off at my place by Richie. She's such a sweetheart.

"Can we stop at the park to talk a bit?" Sam asked and I felt my body tense up.
He was going to ask for the explanation...

"Sure" I barely spoke. My heart was pounding in my chest, cold sweat trickled down my forehead. Am I ready to reopen old wounds?

_____________________________________________

"Josh and I used to date..."

The expression on Sam's face made my heart squeeze in pain.

"He was the sweetest... I felt like he understood me..." I bit my lip trying to control my emotions.

"He was always there for me, he made me become more popular in school when he became captain of the football team... But things started to go wrong..." I sniffled and wiped a stray tear from my eyes.

"He always wanted me to look cool, act cool and soon... I found that I was being suffocated with his demands for me to be the normal girlfriend... I wasn't me anymore... I stopped doing the things I liked... I watched girls flirt with him and do nothing... The pressure was raining down on me every single second..."

I clenched my fists, as the fatal wound in my chest started reopening real slowly.

"And then... When I thought that I could make things work by pushing myself a little harder to be the perfect girl he wants me to be... He broke up with me... No... He did worse than that"

Memories of Josh flashed through my mind.

"When will you grow up?!"

"He broke me"

"You're so selfish!"

"Destroyed my self esteem... Made me a living dead, whose whole life was laid out by the words that came out of his very mouth"

"You're an annoying little freak!"

"He left me, leaving me with a hollow shell I now call heart, and no sense of who I was"

"I'm tired of trying to see you as something more!"

"I tried finding myself again, but I was too lost... Too depressed... I couldn't be myself anymore without remembering his words..."

"You'll never be enough for me! We're done!"

"He made me bleed for a meaning to my life... I had forgotten who I was... And I couldn't even be who I was when I remembered because... Of fear of being criticized upon by other people... Just like he did to me"

A worthless freak. Why can't you just be normal? I doubt the glorious Samuel Lenard even has true feelings for you. He's just attracted by your body... And the fact that you're Angel Ilves, the math goddess. He thinks the same as everyone... A little freak. A little creep... A little-

Sam squeezed my hand firmly and I gasped.

I met his gaze after looking up, and I was greeted with acceptance... With genuine love...