The humble beginnings of a humanitarian.

(I... I've never seen anything like this before. There has to be something I can diagnose this man with... antisocial personality disorder most likely, but this one is quite interesting to say the least.)

A therapist is having a session. 

(Okey now... compose yourself. You have handled clients like these before haven't you? Why am I so nervous? He feels like such a tough nut to crack, but I have to pierce through his shell somehow if I'll figure out what I need to do with him. I'll ask deeper questions)

- Mister Castillo, surely there must be something that you care about, right? If you think deeply, isn't there anything that you hold close to your heart?

................. 

A family member? Do you have a memory that brings you meaning? Maybe you got a wonderful gift when you were a child?

- Not that I remember. Nothing I ever thought of in particular. 

- Ah, I see (Lord have mercy on me, how do I reach this one), could you maybe tell me once again why you wanted to see me? Are you sure that this was really something you wanted for yourself or did you get pressured by someone else to do it. (Yes! I shall finally get something now, I hope).

- Do you listen to the radio? 

- Pardon? (What is he talking about?), well, yes sometimes, but what does this have to do with-

- Do you read books? Do you watch movies in your free time?  

- Oh... well Mister Castillo I think we should call this a day, when are you next-

- What is the common theme among all the three? 

- Hm? Nothing I am aware of, but ehm, maybe emotions? Happiness, sadness, love and-

- You have deduced it. You don't have to guess no more. 

(I am intrigued, what is he trying to tell me?) 

- Oxytocin is a hormone produced in the hypothalamus and released into the bloodstream by the pituitary gland. It is also known as the love hormone. Love is one of the most common emotions described in music, movies and literature. It is usually described as being engulfed in a wave of excitement and anticipation. 

- Mhm?

- In order to feel this emotion, what you need is empathy. The ability to connect with others and put yourself in their shoes. Empathy helps with forging friendships, connections and creates satisfaction in human beings. It is also shown that good social relationships are the number one factor for happiness in people, as proven by a study conducted by Harvard University for over 75 years. 

- Uhuh? Interesting indeed but- 

- You haven't quite gotten the point haven't you. If these emotions pose such a benefit to the human psyche, and is evident in its overrepresentation in all sorts of media, then there is a reason as to why I came to you in the first place. 

......................................

I want to reap these benefits too for myself, and you are the one who will help me do so. 

(Huh! What? What is he saying? He wants me to teach him empathy? Is he sure that it's not just a case of some seasonal depression? He is a walking contradiction! How do I teach him that, which is unteachable? How do I teach, to someone who has no ability to learn? What am I even doing here? I need to say something right now. )

- Could I make a small phone call for a minute? 

*Phone calling*

- Joni! Hello sweetie how are you? I just wanted to talk to you about this client that I have. Apparently he does not have any care for anyone or anything else, but he tells me that he wants me to teach him empathy. The strange thing is, that he wants to learn empathy for selfish reasons! He is a complete case, how do I approach this man?? 

- Dad, take it easy. If you can't help him then you can't. Let someone else do it. 

- But I'm the highest paid therapist out there!! If I let him go then my reputation will be stained! 

- Okay okay! I have an idea. Why not take him to Solfrida? She is the most charitable person both you and I know. She was gonna do some volunteer-work and clean the streets tomorrow with a group of people along with holding a few stands where they do face-painting and such. 

- What! Have you lost your mind! I won't let my little girl get hurt! She can't get close to this man!

- Don't worry dad, I will be there to guard her. I don't know how to help him, but I believe that if he wants to learn about empathy, he should do things that make you feel kind, don't you think? Give people flowers, face paint,  help old people over the road. Be happy that he took this initiative to change himself. Hey, dad, I'll take care of this, don't worry. 

- Sigh, but only because you are my daughter, and I have faith in you. Alright! I shall try it. 

....

- Okay, I have news for-

- You came up with a solution?

- Yes... you shall be joining my youngest daughter tomorrow, Solfrida, and do some volunteer work with her. She will be at the town center at 4 PM along with her group. This will be an opportunity for you to do charitable things. Do you accept this offer?

*nods*, I do. 

- Amazing! Also, one more thing - Don't interrupt others when they talk okay? That's the first step to empathy.