Chapter 3 - Memories

Raven's POV

I and Newt were walking to the Homestead on our way to the gathering. When we arrived at the Homestead Newt opened a door. Newt pointed at a chair where I could sit down.

I looked around me and saw boys sitting. I guessed that those boys were the Keepers. I saw Newt and Alby, they were the leaders.

I thought I was in the room with ten other boys.

Alby cleared his throat and started asking questions, again.

'Do you remember your name now?' He asked me for the second time today.

I still didn't really wanna tell him, even though I told Newt. I didn't really like Alby, but maybe I just had to know him better. 'Raven.' I answered.

'Okay, we are having this gathering because we think it's strange that we have all boys and now a girl. All those other boys got out of the box awake. Raven was unconscious.' Alby said.

'I can't do anything about the fact that I was panicking.' I said a little upset.

'Just forget about the unconscious part, Alby. She can't do anything about that.' Newt said.

'Alright then. You don't remember anything else right, Raven?' Alby looked at me.

I nodded.

'We can't let her sleep with those boys around her.' Newt said.

'I agree.' A different voice said. I turned my head a little to see who was talking. It was a dark-skinned boy, wearing a white shirt, brown jeans, and an apron. He looked like a Cook.

'But where does she sleep then?' Another voice said.

'We could ask the builders to make her another room.' Newt replied. 'Do you think you'll be able to do that, Gally?' He looked at a boy with a brown shirt and dark blonde hair. I noticed his eyebrows, they were curved weirdly.

'Yeah, I think that we'll be able to make that.' He answered. 'But I don't think it'll be done today.'

'Alright, then she can sleep in the hospital room for a while. Is that okay with you, Clint?' Newt asked.

'Sure.'

'Raven, tomorrow you will start as a Slicer, Winston will help you.' He pointed at a boy.

When the gathering was over it was almost time for dinner. Newt told me that I could sit with him and a few others. We walked over to the kitchen. I saw the boy with the apron giving everyone food.
When we got our food I followed Newt to one of the picnic tables. I saw Alby and Minho sitting there too with two other boys.

'Hey, I'm Winston.' One of the boys greeted me. 'I'm the keeper of the Slicers and I will help you tomorrow.' I nodded.

'And this is Zart. He's the keeper of the Track-hoes.' Winston motioned to a blonde boy.

I sat down and started eating my food. It still felt a little weird to have all those boys around me, but I at least knew some of them now.

I thought about the moment when Newt told me I wasn't supposed to go into the maze. He still hadn't told me why.

'Why am I not supposed to go into the maze?' I asked.

The boys looked up at me with weird looks on their faces. They stared at me like I was crazy.

'Are you gonna answer me or what?' I asked them.

'It's dangerous.' Newt finally said.