21: bailey | past

"Carter, I can't do it. I can't stay in this house anymore with these fucking people." I say angrily, my mind spinning after walking in on Kaitlyn and Hunter making out on the couch. Ever since everyone found out about their 'relationship', they're everywhere.

It didn't take much for me to figure out what Hunter did after I saw them at school. I held back my restraint until we were home. That was over a month ago and the only person I've spoken to is Carter.

"You lying piece of shit!" I yell, speaking to my brother for the first time since the time I went to him for advice. Advice that pushed me in the wrong direction and Kaitlyn straight into his arms.

"Whatever Bailey. Throw your temper tantrum. See if I care." He says, rolling his eyes as he sets his backpack down at the kitchen table.

"You told me to pretend that kiss with Kaitlyn never happened so you could fucking make a move on her." I'm nearly shaking with how angry I am.

Hunter per usual is as calm and collected as ever. It fucking pisses me off more than I already am, because I can't hide my feelings as well as him. All I can do is stay silent.

"Yeah Bailey. I did." He says cooly. "You are a fucking wreck and all you would do is hurt her just like you're hurting everyone else. I told you that it wouldn't work between you two if you tried to take it further because you can't even make yourself happy so why do you think you would make her happy?"

"So I can't, but you can."

I hate that he looks just like me and I hate that I look just like him. Hunter shakes his head at me. "I'm not trying to be an asshole Bailey, but seriously? No one knows what the fuck is going on with you. Just because you want to be miserable, it doesn't mean everyone else has to be."

"You are trying to be an asshole. I came to you for advice because I care about Kait, and you manipulated me so you could get your way. Everyone thinks you're so fucking perfect, but just think about this Hunter. Kaitlyn wanted me and I pushed her away. However long this thing with you lasts, I hope you remember that she wanted to be with me. The only reason she's with you is because I made the mistake of listening to you. You're the second choice." I say ruthlessly calling him out on his shit.

Hunter's composure falters giving me the satisfaction that my words hit their mark. He won't forget being the second choice for once. He's always used to being number one, but not this time.

"Well you know you're always welcome here." Carter says and I wish so badly I could just leave and pretend that I don't belong to this family. "But they're still your family so I don't think you should give up on them."

"I wish I could."

"Are they still keeping you under lock and key?"

I groan loudly, kicking at the sand. I couldn't be in the house anymore, but I'm not allowed to be anywhere else unless I'm being escorted by someone I'm frustratingly related to.

Carter sighs, "I'll take that as a yes. If it makes you feel better, I've tried getting more information out of my mom about your dad, but she shuts down every time I mention his name."

"I don't really blame her. If my fiancé left me while I was pregnant for another woman, I don't think I'd like talking about it either." I say, completely understanding Kiera's side. Everyone I know has always had my father on this pedestal and I know without a doubt that my aunt and uncles all knew about Kiera and Carter. None of them have ever said anything.