Chapter 20

CHAPTER TWENTY

KEECIA

The funeral hall was filled with a heavy atmosphere as we gathered to bid our final goodbye to Lolo Arthur. Many visitors filled the hall to pay their respects, both familiar faces and unfamiliar ones. Huling araw na kasi ng burol ngayon kaya talagang inaasahang marami ang dadalo. Even my family and friends attended to show their support.

The Fontalejos, Caine's other side of the family, was present too. And he took it as an opportunity to introduce me to them as his girlfriend. Kilala ko na ang iba sakanila, mostly his uncle, Tito Carlo's family who's here in the Philippines. Dinadala ako palagi ni Caine tuwing may gathering sila, pero ngayon kasi ay full force ng mga Fontalejos ang pumunta.

Karamihan kasi sakanila ay nag-migrate na sa Amerika, umuwi lang ngayon para dumalaw at magbigay respeto kay Lolo Arthur. From what I know, Lolo has always been so kind to their family. Ang kwento sa akin ni Caine ay sinalba sila ni Lolo from bankruptcy kaya malaki rin ang utang na loob nila sakaniya.

It honestly makes me wonder kung ano ang nangyari roon sa anak niya dahil kung ano ang kinabait ni Lolo ay iyon naman ang kinasama ng ugali ni William.

"Oh, Caine, you were right! Ciacia is as beautiful and lovely as you described. Napaka-gandang binibini naman!" Tita Cora, his mother's sister welcomed me with open arms. "Welcome to the family, hija. We are so delighted to finally meet you. My nephew has spoken so highly of you."

My heart swelled because of her words. "Thank you po, tita," I hugged her back. "It's an honor to have finally met all of you din po."

"Naku, alam mo kung nandito lang si Clara, paniguradong matutuwa yun pag nakilala ka!" Kumalas siya sa yakap at hinawakan ang aking mukha. Then she looked at me with teary eyes. "Sayang lang at hindi pinagtagpo ng panahon. But I'm sure she would've loved you."

I felt an ache in my chest when she said that. Oh, how I wish I could've met her too. Sa mga kwento pa lang ni Caine sa akin, alam ko na agad na sobrang bait ng mama niya. I know that she was such an incredible person and Caine loved her so deeply. I truly wish she was still here. I wish I could've met the amazing woman who raised Caine so wonderfully.

That made me glance at Caine, who smiled reassuringly at me. He continued introducing me to more of his relatives. The Fontalejos were so warm and welcoming. I couldn't help but think that maybe Caine would have been better off growing up with them. Maybe things would have been different. Maybe he wouldn't have had to endure the hardships he faced.

It sucks that until now they were still unaware of what Caine had gone through, of the suffering he endured at the hands of his own father... and the truth about his mother's death.

If they had only known, I'm sure they would've fought for him and Tita Clara. I'm sure they'd do something.

But for now, we have to accept that the past couldn't be reversed. Ngayon, ang pokus namin ay nasa present. Right now, we have a mission and that is to fight. To fight for justice relentlessly until William and every person like him gets what they deserve.