Chapter 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

KEECIA

I'm officially a dental clinician!

Today is our clinical pinning and white coat ceremony, a mark of formally becoming a clinician in our fifth year at dental school. My friends and I have been waiting for this exact moment to happen. Ilang taon din kaming naghirap para makarating dito.

My heart swelled with pride as I slipped into my crisp white coat. And when it was my turn to step forward and receive my pin on stage, my heart raced with anticipation. Halos maiyak ako nang matagumpay na nailagay ng dean ang pin sa aking coat. I looked down at my pin, sinisilip ang nakalagay doon.

Centro Escolar University

Uy, Keecia Selestleal C.

Doctor of Dental Medicine

Dental Clinician

A surge of emotions overwhelmed me and I couldn't help but reflect on how far I had come. It suddenly reminded me of the countless hours spent studying, the challenging exams, and the late nights spent perfecting my skills just to reach this stage.

Grabe, eto na talaga yon. Mag-uumpisa na ang tunay na kalbaryo. One more year left, tapos licensure exam nalang, magiging opisyal na dentista na ako! Alam kong medyo malayo pa, pero ang mahalaga ay umuusad na.

While I was on stage, I looked at the audience and searched for familiar faces. And there they were, my parents, along with my boyfriend, beaming with pride and joy. I felt a little shy when I saw them clapping and cheering louder than anyone else in the room. They are really the best cheering squad and supportive system. I am so grateful for them. Sila rin ang dahilan kung bakit ako nandito. They were my motivation and inspiration to keep going. They were always there for me throughout this entire journey. Para sakanila rin ang moment na ito. I owe this to them as well. So, I met their eyes and smiled, mouthing a heartfelt 'thank you' to them.

After the ceremony, I looked for my parents and Caine. Nakita ko sila na naghihintay sa labas ng auditorium. I immediately ran and embraced them one by one.

"Congratulations, my chinita princess..." naiiyak na bulong ni mommy habang magkayakap kami. "Dad, may dentista na tayo!"

I slipped away from the hug, laughing. "Wala pa po, mom! May isang taon pa po ako, atsaka may boards pa. Don't get too excited!"

"Still, we're so proud of you," Dad exclaimed.

"Thank you, dad," I smiled and hugged him. "Para sa inyo to. You guys are the best."

I then turned to Caine, who wore a white dress shirt and beige trousers with a vibrant bouquet of sunflowers in his hand. Kitang-kita ko ang kagalakan sakaniyang mga mata habang tinitignan ako.