96. Beginning of the End (Part 1)

"Gengar! Phantom Force!" Kace ordered as his Gengar appeared behind the opponent's Mega Banette.

It was the decisive match up between his Mega Gengar and the Osmanthus City ghost type Gym Leader, Kira's ace. Kira had indeed proved herself to be a formidable opponent, taking down 2 of Kace's Pokemon and forcing him to use his trump card— mega evolution. However, he wasn't ready to lose here.

He was determined to grab his final gym badge right here. What would be more fun than nailing his victory in a double edged matchup like this between ghost type aces?

Lately, Kace had been feeling more adventurous with his battle matchups, whether it was battling despite disadvantages or pulling off risky strategies. He had also been trying to discover new, creative ways to utilize his Pokemon's moveset.

One thing was for sure: Kace had grown way stronger than when he last battled Axel, and he was certainly pumped to face off against his rival again.

Kace had battled against many trainers of varying formidability ever since his debut, but Axel was the only one who truly made him get fired up. It was something that not even the dominating electric maiden Bonnie was able to achieve despite the difference in power.

'This was what a Pokémon should be like' was what he thought when they had their first battle. But at the same time, Axel's potential made Kace feel a hinge of fear for the first time— he knew the inexperienced trainer would be capable of surpassing him by a huge margin with just a bit more training and development.

Prodigies are insanely rare gems, but people like that do exist after all.

Sure, Kace had talent when it came to Pokémon battling. He had that innate battle sense in him, but he knew it was nothing compared to Axel's complicated brain that can skilfully solve any problem.

He's such a fast learner on top of that. His potential is unlimited.

Kace had to admit that much. Humans are not created equal after all, and even among the gifted, there were definitely the cream of the crop that would stand out more than the rest.

Axel was one such person, one that stood at the tip of that pyramid.

Every time Kace saw him, Axel would have developed different strategies that showed more depth and less openings than the last. He would make all these surprising moves that went beyond his imagination.

Kace knew he had to catch up— after all, he was a competitive person who treasured his pride in his abilities and status more than anything. He wasn't going to let a prodigy wipe the floor with him with pure talent alone. He wanted to prove himself better. To do that, he had to find and reach his limit— then go past that as well.

A race to see who can grow faster and reach the peak.

I'm all in!

Kira's Mega Banette quickly dove into the ground with a Phantom Force of its own.

Kace grinned from ear to ear— as if he would be fazed by an elementary move like that. His Mega Gengar stood its ground as it awaited his order.

If I were Banette, I'll attack from...

"Right there! Night Shade!"

The very moment Banette emerged from the ground, a pitch black radius formed around Gengar, knocking Banette back with an area of effect blast. Taking the opportunity, Gengar pinned the Cursed Doll Pokemon down by stomping on its shadow, delivering a Sludge Bomb right in its face to deliver a win.

"Banette is unable to battle! The winner is the challenger, Kace!"

"Good job!" Kace high fived his shiny Gengar, who reverted back from its Mega evolved form.