94. Past, Present, Future

Luna didn't want to be protected. She never wanted to be the poor damsel in distress waiting to be saved.

She wanted to be the brave knight— the hero— or heroine— that does the saving.

She started being a Pokémon trainer because she thought they looked cool. The way they confidently commanded their Pokémon in battle was amazing, but what truly caught her eye was how they would use that power to help those who were in trouble.

Take an example, the Ultra Guardians back in the Alola Region— composed of a group of elite trainers who protected the safety of the Alolan citizens and Pokémon by facing these beastly monsters that came from another dimension.

She wanted to be that kind of person who could use their powers to help others, only that it wasn't that easy.

Her brother was the one who gifted her Pixie when she was young. It was also around that time that she discovered that being able to understand Pokémon language was an ability unique to her.

It took her so long to convince her father to let her receive her 'starter Pokemon' at the age of ten. That said, he was strict about things, so she often snuck out of the house to battle other trainers, and soon became one of the best, managing to defeat the Island Kahunas with only one Pokémon.

It wasn't until the finals of the Manalo Conference that she tasted defeat. Crushing defeat. She lost the battle that would've determined her future. That was when she thought she lost it all.

But then she met Axel and picked up Pokémon battling again. She even became a Pokémon performer.

It was fun. She felt the thrill once again, of working alongside her Pokémon to reach a goal.

Honestly, I've learned so much ever since coming to Kalos. I found something to enjoy. I found my purpose. I found a new goal.

That's why, I want to keep on travelling to see the world with Axel. I want to give my best doing what I like. I want to learn more and more.

I want to repay his kindness. I want to support him the way he helped me find my way.

And that's more of a reason why I won't—no— I can't lose here!

"Poppie!" She ordered, "Bubblebeam!"

Going on the offensive, Poppie blew a jet of bubbles at Infernape, aiming to decrease the fire monkey's speed.

"Mach Punch!" Delilah responded as Infernape smashed its fists together, embers sparking around them. It threw out a rapid strike of punches, popping the bubbles before it even hit it.

Luna felt a lurch in her stomach. The bubbles weren't popped— they evaporated into thin air because of the heat.

This insane firepower... I've seen it before.

"Luna's smart, so you've probably figured it out by now, right?" Delilah said with a smile as smoke rose from Infernape's fists, "this Infernape right here is the one that defeated you single-handedly back in the Manalo Conference."

She's bluffing, isn't she? There's no way—

There was no doubt about it. Luna knew she recognized those fiery, bloodthirsty eyes that yearned for nothing but absolute destruction. Memories of that day came flashing back. The moment of her loss replayed in her mind.

I'm outclassed. Ever since that loss, I've been thinking of what I could've done— but there was nothing. Against that monster who could melt Pixie's ice in a second and evaporate Poppie's boosted Hydro Vortex... We don't stand a single chance!