30. The Archery Contest (1)

Start from the beginning

"Just fine. Thanks for your concern. How about you, your highness?" He asked with a radiant face. Mo returned the gesture.

"I'm fine. It's been a while."

"Indeed." Answered Santiago. Mo exhaled in remembrance as he stared at the sky. He began to recite.

"The romantic night breeze blew aloof. Sweet melody exuded from my flute. I could hear the air whistling to my tune..." Prince Mo was suddenly intercepted by Santiago who recited the remaining lines.

"I asked the maid watering the cranberry. Music, she said, is the beauty of a youth." They both glanced at each other and laughed coolly in reminiscence. Lores calmly watched their collected personalities being displayed. He figured out that they understood each other as the nobles stared majestically at the blue sky.

"You haven't forgotten." Mo said. It was a poem they both recited together while they were still kids. Though taught to them by their music teacher who was now late, every single line remained etched into their minds. Mo thought of how quick and easy day turned into weeks, months and then years. It was like yesterday and here they were reciting the same poem.

"How can I ?" Santiago smiled warmly. There was a sudden peace of mind he felt while thinking of those memories. His eyes fell on Lores without warning while he stared in an unfamiliar manner.

"This is...?" He questioned, sight coming back to Mo for clarification.

"He's my guard." He then turned to Lores.

"This is Childe Santiago Bantacur Belcanot, the first son of the Duke of Bantacur."

"I'm Brenn. It's a pleasure to meet you sir." Lores chimed in after Mo made the introduction. Santiago and Lores ducked their heads as a form of greeting.

"Just call me Santiago." The young duke said kindly. Lores was forced to rack his brain a little over the familiar word 'Bantacur'. At last he figured it out. He recollected arresting the man who disclosed an information that led to the failed assassination on the Duke of Bantacur. He never expected to meet the son of his beneficiary someday and in a contest as rivals. By virtue of his assessment, Santiago was a problem free person that would not cause much trouble in the contest.

"I'm glad you're part of this contest this time around. I'm really looking forward to it." Santiago's countenance flickered with a smile. Although as a rival, he was happy to work with Mo again after a long while. Mo only smiled like he knew nothing without responding.

-

Elsewhere on the grassland, Prince Karick closed in on the posterior view of a petite figure donned in a military outfit. She was the only female partaker out of all the contestants. Her hair was held up by a cylindrical barrette into a high ponytail. Few strands from the front of her hair hung down freely on each side of her face earning her an androgynous beauty. She was the one and only daughter of General Russ.

"Miss Russ." Karick called with a charming smile. Laurene Russ was taken aback by the sudden appearance of Karick but she composed herself and paid respects.

"Laurene greets your highness." Her meek expression laced with her beauty. Laurene was well known for displaying a good performance in the contest. She had won the contest before making her one of the favourites to win this one.

On the other hand, Karick's reputation as a frivolous skirt chaser was well known by all and sundry. Due to this, some girls develop uneasiness whenever Karick was around but they didn't dare voice out their thoughts. However, Laurene was a blunt girl, a no-nonsense girl that excelled in masculine activities she had thoroughly practiced while her fellow girls learnt dancing and embroidery.

"The sun is warm. It's a good day for sky gazing." Karick uttered as he stood beside her. His motive was of course to get the support of general Russ through his daughter on his quest for the throne. In spite of that, he had taken a fancy to her but she never showed any sign of interest.

Laurene pursed her lips and huffed in response. After a while of silence, Karick finished his thought.

"Albeit in an armour, her beauty could not be hidden. An invincible warrior, her sword beamed like luna. Within an ace of ten steps and one enemy falls. Within a thousand step, and not even one can stop. Corpses form a mound on which she stands. When the act is done, to an anonymous life she returns. O what a shame, what a shame. Her prowess never reached the lands."

On hearing the poem, she spared Karick a sideways glance, her eyebrows knitting in bewilderment. It was a cue that Karick was once again moving his chess pieces. She cocked her head before replying diplomatically with regard to the familiar poem.

"The female general by the late Roben. I'm curious as to why your highness have suddenly recited this poem." She enounced gently not minding to glance at Karick.

"Rumours has it that he wrote that poem for his spouse."

"So...?" She further inquired. Face still gazing skyward. Karick faced her without saying a word. His gaze made her nervous so she had to reciprocate.

"Why are you always hasty to get rid of me?" Said Karick with a curious expression. It was quite obvious to Karick how unwilling and reluctant she was to conversate with him.

"I beg your pardon, your highness. I dare not. It's just that I'm a boring person." She answered, looking at him in the eyes. Karick shot her a doubtful glance.

"Oh, is that so?" He slowly approached her as he asked with an alluring voice. She was taken by alarm. Gasping, she gave a wide berth by stepping backwards. When she saw that Karick was becoming a nuisance, she immediately took action and caused a distraction.

"Please, your highness. Behave yourself." She cautioned with her head lowered. Karick paused then laughed as if deriving happiness from her flustered reactions. He sighed afterwards then turned his back to leave with self-confident strides. He only spoke out loudly when he was some metres away from her.

"You claim to be boring. But why do I find you rather interesting?"