17. The Conspiracy

A middle aged maid scampered with a beam on her face, hands folding against stomach.

"Your Majesty, his highness...His highness is here!" She announced with animation, transferring the mood to the Queen Consort. Before the latter could utter a word, His Highness was already in the room. Queen Haisley's joy knew no bounds. Though in her forties, her elegant beam reflected her heyday. She rose to her feet and rushed to her visitor.

Her regally robed aspect lined with peach blossom embroidery was ornamented with jewellery accessories, and they emitted a glint from the effect of daylight in the room. Her hair was arranged in the conventional method and adorned with several accessories.

"Mo, you're here! Come over." She held his hand and pulled him along. The times Mo paid a visit were as precious as rare gems to her.

"Mom, don't be so clumsy." Prince Mo's cute face turned apple red as he was being dragged like a four-year-old kid.

"What do you mean by don't be so clumsy eh?" She said, sitting on her seat. That very moment, the maid brought a seat with which Mo sat close to the Queen Consort. On the table, a tripod censer exuded frankincense near and far.

"You were away for more than two years with the excuse that you were going to see the world. Even now that you're back home, you are barely around. I've sent my servants to your manor but they usually came back with the same news of 'Your Majesty, His Highness is not around.' You know your visits are once in a blue moon. Allow me to cherish every bit of it." She spoke as if she was narrating an interesting story. Mo made a receptive audience. He was ready to hear whatever his mom had to say at this time.

"I've been unfilial. I dare not refrain you from cherishing the moment. I'm glad to see you sweet mother. Let's savour our time together." Mo's radiant expression said it all. His relationship with his mom was indeed enviable. They had the best interaction in the royal family.

"That's the spirit." Queen Haisley laughed lightly. "Nelia, make some tea." She turned to her maid who was standing aside. The one who was mentioned left briskly with "Yes, Your Majesty."

"Mo, you are a prince for crying out loud. You have to reduce the way you move about, especially now that you've been appointed as an officer. Many are not happy with it. I do not want you to become the target of despicable people." An expression of playful caution appeared on her face while her voice sounded serious. Mo's smile was followed by a warm blink, stressing his filial piety.

"I understand your good intention. I promise you I'll be more careful in the future." Just then, the maid arrived and served the tea.

"Mother really knows my taste." Mo said with delight and sampled his tea. "Mmm as refreshing as always. Pure as jade and sweet as a pearl fish. This familiar aroma never fail to work in soothing my mind. During my tour, I ensured I had this tea every morning." He licked his lips and they became redder.

"Ever since you were young, this tea have been your favorite. It's normal that you still like it." The queen consort replied amid chattering teeth. Mo smiled in response.

"Mom, guess what I have for you." Haisley's eyes brightened as she mulled an answer. Without waiting for her verbal reaction, Mo carried his hands to the side and clapped once. Instantly, a maid carrying a box thudded with gold patterns came in, her head crest fallen. She mildly placed the article on the table and left upon the gesture of the prince.

Haisley's eyes sparkled, nervousness setting in. Her pale fingers touched the lid and caressed it.

"What have you gotten for me again?" She blurted amid her curiosity.

"Find out yourself." Mo said with an assuring smile. Queen Haisley slowly lifted the lid and took out the necklace that was housed in it. It was an embellished jewel with several beads that gave off tiny sparkles. A beauteous pendant drooped from the decoratively complicated cord.