24. A Man In The Pool

After the stealthy investigation carried out by House Of Berath, the seal was said to be on the gate of Fense County. The perpetrator had been arrested and detained by the ministry of justice. Confusion was par for the course for those who were underhandedly involved in the disappearance of the bronze seal.

Karick and Berg met at a quiet alley in the west side of Ripplesky palace. Karick was more anxious. He couldn't find a proper explanation to what was ongoing. It was as if his grand scheme was about to be ruined.

"Berg, what I'm I hearing? Our men who were on their way to the eastern region were killed at the foot of mount Volo. And now as I speak, the seal happens to be in Fense County just like that. What exactly is going on?" He poured out a sigh after his speech. His initial plan was to take the seal to the Raincut and frame the Dawcanes for it. When that happens, he would go on an eastern expedition in place of his brother. Not only would he claim the credit, he would also strengthen his place in the court - killing two birds with one stone. But now, things went south.

Bergwain only let out a muddled laugh. If only Karick could discover that he was just as confused as him if not more than.

"Fense county? Nonsense." Bergwain uttered, shaking his head in disbelief. "I'm afraid our plan have been hijacked by someone else."

"What?" Karick eyes blazed. Berg knew the answer after a moment of thought but didn't disclose it to the second prince at that moment. He knew who had plotted the scheme and manipulated everyone up to this level.

"Stealing the seal was your idea. What do you mean by saying the plan was hijacked. If it was really hijacked like you said, you should have known about it." Karick whined thoroughly upset. Berg demurred for an untold amount of time before finally saying something.

"The plan has been interloped by someone above us. There's nothing I can do even if I know."

"When you say someone above us, do you mean...?" Karick in astonishment. Berg nodded. Karick calmed down a bit. He spoke with a reduced voice.

"What should we do?"

"Knowing that the seal is in Fense county, third brother will go to retrieve it. I'm afraid a war is on the horizon. We should stay put. If we make a move now, we will provoke that person."

Karick had no other choice than to resign to the outcome. He sighed again but this time in total disappointment.

"You said this was the only way third brother would bungle his responsibility, but he's going to claim credit instead if he returns victoriously from Fense county."

"It's exactly as the higher-up has planned. He's going to use Mo's victory to dispel the rumours about his incompetence. Unbeknownst to Mo, he's getting help. Making a move now will only implicate us. It's better we wait and restrategize."

At that moment, a figure was spotted sprinting on the high wall. Berg turned his gaze swiftly as a furrow appeared between his brows. They were spies from the east who usually came but all had the same end - they never lived to tell the story.

"Nightfall!" He called without hesitating.

Immediately, a shadow leapt out of nowhere. Their black cloak fluttered in the air, giving off the aura of an inauspicious night. They got to the figure in no time and killed him on the spot by breaking his neck with a perfect first time effort. The spy didn't even get the chance to see his killer clearly before going to the netherworld without leaving any last words behind.

-

In Bloom pavilion, a calm misty pool from which source is a majestic waterfall, was disturbed by a man taking his bath. Magnolias from a nearby source spiralled gracefully into the pool. His guards were away from him. Fresh air cruised about the area. Magnolias could be seen floating on the surface of the pool. Sparrows sang aloof, giving this man a very pleasurable moment of his life. No doubt the sky could threaten to collapse at that moment but he would remain in that pool for three consecutive days.