36 | Tables & Logs

"Good afternoon," Alhaji Abdullah stood at the entrance of an office greeting a man he saw walking out "I'm here to see Mr Chris Ochigbo."

He adjusted some files in his hands and looked at the owner of the voice "Do you have an appointment?"

Rude, but ok. For Zayda he'll go through anything. Even if it was disrespect from an underpaid clerk.

"Yes."

"I'll be with you shortly." He raised a finger, turning his back to knock on the door "You can wait here sir."

"He came out a few seconds later, dragging the door open for him to enter "Sir, he said he'll see you now."

The man went out and closed from the outside.

"Hello sir," Alhaji Abdullah stretches an arm to greet the angry looking occupant of the seat behind the large, wooden table "Good afternoon, I was sent here by Bernard Chase."

He stood up to shake his hand and put it back in his pocket as he sat "I've been expecting you."

"Thank you." Alhaji Abdullah sits on an empty seat facing the man.

"What is your request?" He places a hand to his chest as if reciting the national anthem "Bernard tells me you're looking for your daughter. It's unfortunate."

"Yes, mr Chris." He looked downwards, remembering all the good times he had with his little Zayda who wasn't so little anymore "I want your workers to do a thorough search of the airline manifest report."

"Do you know which airline she boarded?"

"No?"

"Do you know the date she travelled?"

"Yes."

"If you have that, then we can help. Unfortunately you'd have to follow a due process."

"How do you mean?"

"I mean," he clears his throat "We don't just give up the names on our list to anyone. It's a breach of the passengers trust on us."

"But I'm just here for a single person."

"Even if it's hundred people, you still have to do the right thing."

Why did I give George money again? Alhaji Abdullah boiled inside. His anger could melt iron because of how aggravated he was.

He didn't give money for someone to tell him he had to join the back of the line. He now had to join a line he couldn't buy.

"Which is?" He fought hard to calmly ask by breathing slowly and forcing a straight face.

"You have to bring a security agency who can testify and prove your claims to be true."

"Do you..." he closed his mouth with two fingers and shook his head. He was about to mess things up. "Or?"

"Or contact the airline she traveled with."

"I mentioned before that I don't know which airline she traveled with."

"Then you know your answer." He leaned back in his recliner rubbing his beer storing belly. He didn't care that a girls life could be on the line. He would have to make people follow the right path.

"Thank you for your help."

Alhaji Abdullah flips Aamanee's phone in his right hand as yesterday's encounter with the airport staff he was to meet. Even if he considered it a bust, he found clarity and there was progress. Now he had to find an agency to provide the evidence needed to help Zayda get found.