35 | Acrimony

Warning: it's a really long chapter :)

Enjoy❤️

"Baby?" Aisha yawned from the backseat where she slept the previous night and sat up, clutching the blanket Farouk got her from a local superstore in Keffi. "Are you up?"

"About... ten minutes," he answered, moving to open a leather bag in the passenger seat with some essentials they'd bought. "I didn't want to disturb your sleep."

"Well, good morning baby."

He brought out two toothbrushes in pink and blue with a brand of toothpaste called Oral B. He passed the pink toothbrush to Aisha and dropped the blue on his lap.

Aisha ripped the paper covering and removed the plastic covering on the other side. She put it in the leather and watched Farouk slowly open the large blue toothpaste pack and put it in the bag.

"Ladies first," he gave her the toothpaste and she squeezed some into the bristles.

"What a gentle man." She hummed, passing it back to him. He poured it to his toothbrush too and they went out of the car with a bottle of water to brush their teeth.

He handed her the bottle to start while he scanned the area for anything suspicious. She folded the sleeves of her dress and poured some water on the head of her toothbrush before rinsing her mouth with a little water.

She performed ablution after cleaning her mouth and gave Yusuf the bottle. He went into a nearby bush and relieved himself before brushing his teeth and purifying himself to pray with Aisha.

He'd got them two praying mats and for her, a hijab. This would've been a well coordinated trip if it wasn't a terrible idea to elope with your lover for an entirely different reason.

They were accepted in each other's homes so this was an impractical joke. Too displaced to even make sense for its reasoning.

She'd placed them in order—one in front of the other—for him and her, behind to follow his call. He returns everything to the car and takes his place where she placed his mat and they prayed. Prayed for the best ending to this problem. They forgot to ask for a safe return.

They got back into the car and drove out of the bushy area they'd parked in. Their stomachs grumbled in sync to their unnoticed hungers. None of them had ever been here before—outside Abuja—they didn't want to ask for directions so they wouldn't look suspicious or ask and someone would recognize them. They were sure Farouk's father would send people to search for them.

"If you see any restaurant tell me to stop."

"Ok." She nodded.

They drove through a small road clustered with houses and shops that were closed or just opening for the daily 2k to be received from as much people as they could.

It was all turns and bends to different areas they weren't sure of until they saw a man passing in his football jersey with his boots being held by two fingers because a ball was being cradled between his arm and waist, they
agreed to ask because they'd driven for close to an hour without finding anywhere to eat and that's not mentioning the number of street vendors they'd driven past.

"Ina kwana malam," good morning. Farouk greeted, looking at the man by Aisha's window "Muna niman gurin cin abinci ne. Ko akwai a nan? " we're looking for a place to eat food. Is there?