10 | Aamanee A Plus

Yusuf spent the night talking with Amna who waited for Nadine to wake up. He thought of what she was trying to do—penetrate his soul through charming his family members. It was pathetic. Her effort was valid though.

He didn't care what happened after he saw that she'd been able to get Nadine to smile but his fear was his parents coming back and meeting her here. He reminded her that office needed her and she left an hour before his family would storm the hospital.

The doctor opens the would and cleans it then prescribed some drugs for her and gave her crutches to walk on for some weeks. Her parents opted for the wheelchair even if it was more expensive but she argued the crutches would be better for her.

Back home, Aamanee and Amira were babysitting Usama who'd turned the house upside down with his friend Ali playing with Star Wars sabers, jumping from one couch to another, throwing the pillows to the group and almost breaking a glass cabinet their father kept pictures he'd taken with famous people around the world.

Nadine was brought back home to a messy house. Hajiya Waleeda sends Ali home and punishes Usama by telling him to clean up the entire living room while Aamane and Amira were asked to cook for Nadine. Yusuf takes her upstairs while their father goes out for a meeting.

"I can't believe she has a real gun wound." Aamanee whispered knowing that if their mother heard she'd slap them.

"I know right. I'm scared for her."

"What if she didn't make it?"

"What if who didn't make it?" Hajiya Waleeda asks as soon as she steps into the kitchen.

"Nothing." Amira stirs the pot of meat stock for the jollof rice, afraid to look at her.

"Nobody." Aamanee adds, sprinkling some spices into the pot.

"I better not hear anything from your stupid mouths. Cook this food well and make sure it doesn't burn." She looks at the pot and goes out.

After they were done cooking, Aamanee served it in a plate for Nadine and put all the necessary—water, juice and cutlery—as Amira puts the rest of the food in a container. She cleans the table and clears the bowls they'd used in making the food.

"I'm taking this upstairs." Aamanee holds the tray in her arms, getting ready to leave. Her phone beeps and she takes it out of the pocket of her dress and slips it back in, as if she was scared of something and Amira noticed but doesn't say anything. "Uhmm... I'm also going to Akeelah's house."

"Why? We still have stuff to do."

"You Just have to wash the rags and you can go."

"Fine."

"Thank you, lovely sister."

Amira sings Justin Bieber's Sorry as her phone stretches and squeezes the soapy rag in her hands, tiredly. She drops the rag in the water and sighs. I should sleep now. She rinses it and hangs it then goes to her room, thanking Allah for making this stressful day a Saturday.

Usama angrily wipes sweat off his forehead as his heads up to take a shower in his room. His head was throbbing and he'd forgotten why he was forced to clean the living room but he felt so angry it brought him to tears.

Hajiya Waleeda sees him entering his room as she carries the tray out of Nadine's room and moves to hug him and he bends his head to cover his eyes.