Chapter 27: Lambs To Slaughter

The plague

The plague. Most people thought that god was Punishing us for our sins. People have been getting sick left and right, dieing like nobody's business. It was sad even Emma had gotten sick so sick that she wasn't able to work.

(Y/n) didn't think that god was punishing his children there was no point as this thing that was called living was a punishment on its own. Life was hell.

(Y/n) fell to her knees coughing into her hand as the world around her was spinning. Tears pricked her eyes, it has seemed that even (y/n) had gotten sick.

Crowleys breath was caught in his throat. He smelled of blood and dirt. The sent of death was everywhere, it was a sour smell any normal person would keel over and empty the contents of their stomach onto the ground.

But Crowley keeped pushing every chance he could get he clung to your rosary. It keeped him going. " ahhh!" Yelled a man as he swang his blade Crowley dodged the sword and sang his own up cutting his head clean off as it sores in the air blood sprayed soaking Crowley in even more blood.

This war had been going on for long enough, his commander died, so many have died just for god. Crowley was starting to not believe in him. Even men that were loyal to god had dyed even good people died.

If we had gods protection then we wouldn't be dieing so often?

We were being killed like lambs to slaughter. He had to keep going no matter what.

It's been hours since (y/n) had collapsed. It's funny to (y/n) at least.

she was dying of sickness, she had caught the plague like everyone else. She was sicker then a dog. Most people didn't even help care for her as she grew weaker and weaker.

She was pale and her cheeks sunken in. She looked like skin and bones now. But she didn't care about her sickness she wanted to help the people around her.

But someone was more important to (y/n) then any other person, Crowley she had to get better for him.

" I can see it!" One of the knights yelled.

They were so close to Damietta, the walls were were so close that you could see it. Crowley raised his head his blue eyes seemed to sparkle in relief.

It wasn't likely that the enemy would give chase to them at this time.

" castle walls!!"

" damietta is in sight!"

They yelled tears of relief. A little more to go a little more! But as Crowley thought this the sound of hooves on the ground marking the ground rumble.

The sound of a different language filled the red heads ears.

" damn!" Crowley griped is sword tightly spinning around on his heel. They weren't close yet but if they kept just standing here they would get caught and killed.

" you got to be kidding me! Not when were this close!" Yelled gustavo yelled out .

Crowley immediately ordered " run! Run for your life's!"

But he didn't move not an inch. He was still turned in the direction of the pursuers. Next to Crowley Victor asked " hey, Crowley. Just what are you planning to do?"

" we won't be able to get away from them like this. I'll stay back and protect the rear!"

" you'll die! "

" I promised the commander that I'll protect our comrades!"

" the commander said to you not to die no matter what! So get to the vanguard. I'll protect our rear!" At that Victor pulled his sword.

On que Gustavo and the other high ranking nights pulled out their swords. 10 of them. Even if there was a place of safety, they still wanted to protect their comrades.

Gilbert stood in front of Crowley last. " then... I, too shall" he said, he was about to pull his sword out but Crowleys hand rested on the handle of Gilbert's blade, stopping him. Crowley ordered

" no not you, Gilbert. Our remaining comrades need someone to lead them."

" wha- please sir don't joke like this, this is the place I shall die!"

" no it's not, protect our comrades, take them to Damietta"

" no sir that's your duty. I shall stay here and-"

Crowleys fist whiped across Gilbert's face. " ugh!"

" listen Gilbert, a highly capable knight is needed to lead our remaining comrades. And that knight is you."

" no! Sir Crowley! That role is yours!"

" you will do it, that's an order! Or will you say that you won't listen to your seniors orders?" Gilbert fell silent.

Crowley grabbed him by the shoulders assured him

" besides, I don't intend to die here either. I will go back to her thats my purpose. And the commander ordered me to survive no matter what. So I- no we will survive " Gilbert was on the verge of tears as he listened to Crowley speak.

" really?"

" really, well act as a decoy then escape. So you all need to make it to the walls in the mean time. Once you do, bring reinforcements from crusaders in Damietta "

with that Gilbert has a puzzling exspresion on his face. But he soon nodded

" understood sir. But afterwards we will join you with out fail!"

" sure"

" with out fail!! "

" I believe you. Alright let's get started you guys get going!"

In a response to that Gilbert raised his fist to the sky. " men follow me! We're going to call reinforcements from Damietta!" With that he ran the men following after the young knight.