(Christmas Special) The Gift of the Magi

A/N- This is one of the possibly many Christmas specials of 2022! If you don't know the story 'The Gift of the Magi', basically character A and character B are together, but REALLY poor. So in order to buy each other gifts they sell something dear to them..you'll see when you read this I swear lol

Enjoy!

• • •

"A dollar and 87 cents," Kay announced to nobody except herself. "All the saving I did, and all I've got is a dollar eighty-seven!" She couldn't believe it. She didn't believe it the first time she counted, which was why she counted her money three times. Yet she still came up with the same low number. It was disheartening; she wanted to buy Viper a gift so badly, but what could she get him for under 2 dollars?

Frankly, Kay already knew what she wanted to get him, hence her desperate attempt to save the little money she had. She wanted to buy him a sheath for his scythe, as Viper kind of just..carried it around with the blade out. It was a little strange and a tad dangerous in Kay's opinion. Along with that, she wanted to buy him a sharpening kit, and gift them to him as a pair...

...but obviously she couldn't get him those things with a $1.87.

She could bake him cookies, it wouldn't cost her anything considering she already had the supplies, but she made him cookies all the time. "There has to be something I could do to get the money.." She said with a thoughtful hum. She suddenly remembered a quest she saw on the quest board in the guildhall. At the time, she purposely put it back and ignored it.

Basically, the quest was someone asking for someone to come to their pawn shop for business. Nothing else, just that and the location of the pawn shop. It was a little weird upon Kay first reading it, it's why she put it back on the quest board.

..but now she was considering going and completing it. She remembered there was something else at the bottom of the quest paper; rather than a singular payment number, it had a range of what the payment could be. And both numbers where somewhat large, at least large based on Kay's standards. It was exactly what she needed to get Viper the present he deserved.

It didn't take long for Kay to make up her mind. She could handle a creepy sounding quest! Before she hesitated about going, she got up, grabbed her bag and left to the guildhall to grab the quest. Then she was off to the quest location.

• • •

Viper sighed and slammed the last coin he had in his hand on to the table. "A dollar and ninety cents? Seriously??" He said to himself. He had less money than he liked to admit, so he saved as much as he could knowing he just had to get Kay something for Christmas. He loved her, and he wasn't sure how to show it quite yet, but he knew a gift was going in the right direction. It felt right. Anyway, he couldn't get her jack squat with a $1.90, especially not what he had in mind; originally, he wanted to get her a mini jewelry case. He knew she had a necklace and hairclip she adored, but didn't wear all the time. He imagined that one of her worries was loosing one of the 2 items, so he thought a mini jewelry case would be nice. He wasn't exactly sure how much they cost, but he imagined they cost a lot more than a dollar and ninety cents.

He wasn't sure how to get more money. He had done all the quests he could, the rest either a) barely got him any money, or b) were lower-class missions he needed to leave for the other members of Grimshade. It was almost impressive how he only managed to get a $1.90 at the end of the day, after all of his hard work and saving. Either way it was still discouraging, even for someone like Viper. "How the hell am I supposed to get her a gift now..?"

After thinking about it for a bit, he decided it came down to him having to sell something..but what? Nothing he owned was worth all that much money, or at least he didn't think so. He glanced around his room, deep in thought, when his eyes landed on his scythe, and lingered there. "Maybe.."