24

“Don’t lie to me, Kayla Blaq.”

In the years I have been roommate and best of friends, Zim has never called me by my full names except I committed.

Guess I have offended her highness.

I stifle my chuckle walking away from the window albeit combing my hair with my fingers fixing it into a high ponytail knotting the hairband securely.

The irritation registers on Zim’s face glancing at her by the doorframe which she rest on wearing a pink lace pant and white sport bra, her hands akimbo watching me get ready for class.

Scanning the room for my laptop, my gaze lands on my bean bag.

Walking over to it, I squat placing the laptop inside my bag. “I am not lying, Zim.” Mentally, I calculate what else I may have missed for school.

Applauding myself, my side glance catches her slump on my bed hastily making my way towards the table.

Taking out my curling wand then plugging it. Soon her presence is felt behind me snatching the wand out of my grip.

She begins curling my ponytail in vexation. I bite my lip to stop the giggle threatening to burst out.

“Look, I understand where you are coming from but I have to do this. For closure.”

“For closure?”

She scoffs coming to my front curling the two strands on each side of my face. “You and I both know there is nothing like closure between you and Cole.”

A little sigh escapes me. “Can we just… forget about it? Or I will be late for class.” She gives me that look.

Truth, I don't want no closure between Cole and myself; I am foolishly hanging on the hope we can have the family we talked about for years.

Dreamt about.

I just have to see him to tell my heart we can still work out the situation with Bianca and his baby.

As easy as him gaining custody will fix it. A good lawyer's job with a handsome pay.

Oh! What am I thinking?

Sighing. “Cole and I has nothing anymore. He just wishes to see me. As a friend.” I point out smacking my lips before applying gloss.

Praying she doesn't catch my lie.

Flipping my hair. “And besides, I have something important to do today, so I will be late.”

Her mouth open then close, opens again with no words flying out then close tilting her head to the side chuckling as she squints her eyes raking her poor little brain.

Not helping herself. “Important. What is it? …who?”

Cutting her off. “Nunya.” Buckling my wedge heel around my ankle.

Zim pause her lip. “Kayla.” She drawls my name causing me to laugh hanging my bag on my shoulder.

I shout behind my shoulder. “Bye, Zim.” Hearing her curse loud enough for me to hear as I close the front door glancing at my Cartier watch.

I better hurry up.

After successfully making it through traffic, getting a space at the parking lot prove much difficult tapping my fingers on the wheels impatiently.

Luckily, I notice someone driving out quickly filling the space rushing down on a wild goose chase for class which I may add I am fifteen minutes late.

Dreading the feeling of coming late to class knowing eyes will be on me and those annoying whispers of how I get to do whatever I want.