Chapter Thirty - Five - Four Walls And A Roof

Start from the beginning

Sasha came out from the office to announce that Bob was dead, and she had stabbed him to make sure he didn't turn. Rick, Glenn and Tyreese went into the office to wrap the body for transport. Gabriel went in to say a prayer.

Michonne went to Carl and Hedley, sitting down with them.

Hedley's hand reached out for her and soon, she joined the embrace, kissing both of their heads and rocked them back and forth.

****

It was dark out, night blooming above. Candles were lit all around the church.

Hedley had fallen asleep in Carl's lap in exhaustion, Michonne huddled with Carl as she stroked the sleeping boy's head. Fortunately, none of his stitches were reopened but tears did stain his face.

"It was that guy, Gareth. And five other ones." Sasha informed, "That's what he said. They're watching us."

"Time for a reality check. We all need to leave for DC right now." Abraham announced.

"Daryl, Merle and Carol are gonna be back. We're not going anywhere without them." Said Rick.

"I respect that, but there's a clear threat here to Eugene. I need to extract his ass before things get any uglier. So, if y'all won't come, good luck to you. We'll go our separate ways."

"You leaving on foot?"

"We fixed that damn bus ourselves."

"There are a lot more of us."

"You want to keep it that way? You should come."

"Carol saved your life. We saved your life."

"Well, I am trying to save yours. Save everyone's."

Rick shook his head, "We're not going anywhere without our people."

"Your people took off."

"They're coming back!" He hissed.

"To what, picked-over bones?!"

A fight was about to break but Glenn stepped in between the two, hands out.

"Hey, hey, stop! Now!" He turned to Abraham, "Do you really think that you're gonna be any safer leaving right now in the middle of the night?"

"Yeah."

"What about tomorrow? We need each other for this. We need each other to get to DC. We can get through all of it together."

No answer.

Rick spoke up, "I have an idea. If you stay just one more day and help."

"Glenn and Maggie will come with us, too."

"No."

"Good luck, then. I'm not interested in breaking up what you have here. Rosita, grab your gear."

Rosita frowned, "Abraham--"

"Now." He cut off, looking at Eugene, who was frozen, "Eugene, let's go. Eugene. Move it."

"I don't want to."

"Now."

"Okay." He said with no backbone.

"You're not taking the bus." Rick said angrily.

"Try to stop me." Abraham went to step towards Rick threateningly.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!" Glenn intervened again, "Hey, hey, hey! You stay-- you stay and help us, and we will go with you."

"No." Rick urged.