ch 18; I still love you! I promise

Sonic has been running a few hours now.
The forest was huge, and easy to get lost in. Almost every single tree looks the same as the others.
There are nothing he could keep as landmark. Nothing to coordinate around with. Just the same looking tree...

The blue hedgehog halted on the steps, and stopped by a tree where he leans against, with the hand on its rough bark.
He was about to collect the thoughts to make up a plan, when his red eyes noticed the corner of an abandoned house.
Sonic flinches upright with a surprised gasp.
"... They must be here..." he mumbles, and starts walking carefully toward the house.
Sonic stands up on the toes by a window, and peeks into the kitchen. No one in that room.
The only thing that caught his attention, was the ugly cupboards with dark green doors.

The hedgehog leans away from the window to the kitchen, and starts walking around the corner.
Around the corner, he could see the storm cellar door to the basement. With the same dark green colors on the door, as the cupboards'.
The door with two split halves, have a bended metal pipe around their handles. Which looks as it's supposed to work as some kind of lock... Either to keep something inside the basement, or someone out.
However-... No way a mortal could bend the pipe like that... Only a 'monster' would be able to bend the metal pipe to the form of a pretzel.
Which means-... It's most likely Knuckles who did it...

Sonic turns the face toward the sides a few times.
Then he walks over to the tilted down door, and tries unbend the pipe, so he could get a peek inside the basement.
He only managed to put the hands on the pipe, when his ears perked from the sound of approaching footsteps.
"And where do you think you are going?-..." Knuckles asks from behind, and startled Sonic.
"I-...I-...." the blue hedgehog stutters, and was about to turn around when arms wrapped around him.
He gasps shocked, and could feel how his feet lost solid ground underneath them.
Sonic looks over the shoulder at him.
Knuckles glares coldly at him, with blood all over his face.

Sonic's heart dropped. At least it feels as it.
The first thought from seeing all that blood, made him nervous. Afraid Knuckles might have killed Silver.
But as soon he could calm down a little, he inhales and understands, it wasn't Silver's blood.
"... What have you done?!" Sonic asks, and stares at the kinda fresh blood.

Knuckles raises an eyebrow, and hums asking.
Then he jolts, with a grin appearing on the lips.
"Oh?...That!-... Yeah... Let's say, I made a short visit to a friend to us..."
Sonic stiffened.
"W-who?..." he gulps.
Knuckles let's out a low chuckle.
" Don't worry Sonic-... I'm sure his death will please you as well..." he tells the confused hedgehog.
Knuckles smirks.
"... You know-... The homophobic bastard on Morty's place... Not only did he verbally attacked you and me... He also attacked Shadow..." he explains.
Sonic exhales in relief. For a moment he thought Knuckles had killed one of their friends.
Knuckles chuckles.
"... I'm sure I did the world a favor to kill that asshole-... Now... What should I do with you?-... I can't have people snooping around here..."
Sonic starts getting very nervous. No way Knuckles could kill him, right?
"C-come on K-knuckles-... It's me... S-sonic... Y-your first B-boyfriend..." he swallows hardly with dropped ears.
Knuckles stares skeptically at him.
Sonic inhales deeply.
"You don't W-want to H-hurt me-... Since I-...I still L-love Y-you..."

Knuckles scoffs, and drops Sonic on the ground where he fell on the side and landed on the shoulder-bag with a grunt.
"Don't lie-... How can you still love me, when you were the one who dumped me..." he mutters and kneels down by Sonic.
Sonic sits halfway up, where he rest on the forearm.
"I'm sorry-... B-but I D-dumped you to P-protect you..."
Knuckles raises an eyebrow.
"From what?-... I never cared about those homophobic comments from people... Which it seemed, as you did..." he snorts.
Sonic furrows the eyebrows.
"No-... I W-wanted to protect you from M-me..."
The echidna stares silently at him for a brief moment.
"... From you?..."
Sonic sits up, and nods.
"Yes-... It turned out-... I could barely keep myself from killing you-..." he starts explaining which makes Knuckles confused.
"You wanted to kill me?-... That doesn't sounds as love..."
Sonic shakes the head.
"Not kill you-... More as-... As newborn vampire, I was struggling with my bloodlust-... And it turned out, it was harder to resist the blood from the one you loved... The struggle was awful, and I was afraid I would accidentally kill you, if I stayed as your boyfriend... So, I dumped you, for your safety... But now, as everything turned out, it was a big mistake... You ended up dead anyway... And I'm sorry for causing you pain 'Cause of the choices I made..."