Forty-Eight

Enjoy! <3 Artie

------------------------------------

"Water isn't broken, I don't see any dilating yet, and the contractions are not consistent." Dr. Omenma said, peeling off her gloves. "You are close. I would say in the next 24-48 hours, baby girl will be here!"

Mirjana smirked at the women surrounding her. "I told you I wasn't in labor."

Dr. Omenma furrowed her brows. "You do understand that labor does not technically start until you are dilated."

"HA! Even more proof that I'm – oh – ow!" she rolled to her side, clutching her stomach.

"Baby is getting ready," Nwadike, the midwife, said. She and the doctor exchanged looks. "I can wait here. You get some rest. I will call you when it is time."

"Let me help you set up a bed in the nursery so you don't have to go so far," Pepper offered. She led the doctor towards the door in the corner of the room.

"I've got it!"

"Just let me help."

"I've got it!"

"Mr. Wilson, I think-"

"CLINT YOU'RE GONNA DROP IT YOU DAMN DEAF BIRD!"

"SAYS THE MAN WHO RELIES ON A BIRD TO SEE WHEN HE FLIES."

Natasha groaned, silently asking Yelena to check up on the boys. A dog barked, causing Alpine to jump up from the pillow. Mirjana pulled the kitten into her chest. Yelena rolled her eyes and stomped out of the room. There was a smack, two screeches, and a few grunts before eerie silence.

Mirjana turned towards Natasha and Nwadike. "That's one way to distract me from the pain."

"WHAT is going on out here?!" Dr. Omenma's booming voice echoed. Someone audibly gasped.

"Mis-Mr. Wilson was trying to take the box from Mr. Barton-"

"They were being idiots," Yelena cut Peter off.

"I do not care! I have a heavily pregnant patient in the other room and I cannot have the three of you out here stressing her out by breaking her things! In! Go!" the doctor ordered.

"Yes, ma'am," Sam all but purred.

"Ugh. Disgusting." Yelena's eye roll could be heard from the hall.

"Put the stuff down and then you're on baby watch," Pepper's voice said.

"What do you mean by baby watch?" Clint asked.

Pepper led them into the bedroom where Mirjana was still curled up on her side in bed. Sam and Clint were ushered into fluffy chairs in the corner of the room. Mirjana hadn't noticed them. (Not that she had taken the time to walk around the room.)

"You two sit here and watch Mirjana. Let Nwadike rest and we will bring the rest of the boxes down," Pepper continued to order. She turned to Peter, who had quietly stood in the doorway. "Peter, you're with us. Natasha and Yelena, you're with me."

"I can stay here if you want the men to help," Nwadike offered.

Pepper sent her a smile. "Thank you, but you should rest. It sounds like we're going to be in baby mode sooner rather than later. Or, at least take a shower, get something to eat, unpack. Ororo said you were willing to stay the first week?"

The midwife nodded. "Yes. I have never been to New York."

"We're welcome to have you," Sam flirted.

Nwadike rolled her eyes, something that women around him seemed to do often. "Are we ok to leave them alone with them?"