Thirty-Three

Trigger warning: Mentions of miscarriage and depression. I avoided going too deep into the topic. <3 Artie 

-----------------------------------------------------

"I've got a little genius of my own, back home." Tony bragged. He had been sauntering around the impressive lab, doing a poor job of hiding his admiration of the advanced technology. "This is almost as cutting-edge as what I have at home. Not bad for a 'farming' country."

Pepper frowned. "Tony, clearly Shuri and Wakanda are both impressive. You're not the only smart person in the world."

"Genius," he corrected. "I'll bet the kid would get a kick out of this."

Having an idea, Pepper smirked. "What a great idea, Tony! Let's invite him! I'm sure he'd be fascinated with the lab and would love to meet Shuri!"

She meant it sarcastically but the billionaire wasn't going to be called on his bluff.

"Fine, then it's decided. I'll call the kid's aunt and see if he can come hang out for a few days." Tony walked away, pulling out the piece of glass Mirjana learned was a phone/tablet.

Mirjana was laying on a padded table, where a doctor was doing what looked to be a cross between an x-ray and ultrasound. Bucky stood to her left, holding her hand tightly. When they first exited the dining room, Mirjana quietly asked Ramonda if it was possible for her to have her baby checked on. Just to be safe.

The Queen mother agreed immediately and ordered for that to take precedence over doing anything with Bucky's mind. That could wait. Sam, Steve, and T'challa wandered elsewhere to give some privacy. Pepper and Natasha planted themselves at Mirjana's feet, eager to offer support. General Rhodes had apparently taken the jet back to the States when everyone else had been shown their rooms earlier. Jana hadn't even realized he was missing until Tony complained about his friend "abandoning" him.

Ororo, Ramonda, and Shuri stood a respectful distance away, letting them have their space. But the moment the baby showed up on screen, they took a few steps closer.

A heartbeat sounded over unseen speakers, and the couple let out a breath of relief. Their unnamed baby girl was fine. They could see her curled up in the screen above them, growing right on pace and perfectly healthy. It was good to know that the stress of the last few days didn't affect her in the womb.

"Thank god," Bucky sighed. He brushed Mirjana's head back and placed a kiss on her forehead. "We're okay, baby. All of us."

"You are a super soldier, right?" Shuri asked, stepping next to Mirjana's right side. She stared at Bucky for a response.

"Yes."

"Would your baby, by any chance, also be a super solider?"

The couple shared a worried look. "I, uh, I'm not sure."

"Can I test it?"

"No!"

Mirjana's voice erupted from within her, stunning the room into silence. Her breath picked up and Bucky ran his hand through her hair to stop the oncoming panic attack. He leaned down, lips brushing against her ear, as we whispered calming assurances.

"It's okay. They're not Hydra. No one is going to do anything to our little girl. We're safe."

"Leave us," Ramonda ordered. The doctor and the other lab workers hurried out to give more privacy. Natasha stepped around the table, taking hold of Mirjana's other hand that Bucky wasn't holding.

"No one is going to force you to do a thing. If you don't want to have the baby tested then we'll let you be. Right, Shuri?" The look she sent the young genius made her flinch.