Four

Because I couldn't help myself. <3 Artie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malo's first mission.

The masked soldier carried her off the plane and set her down on a chair in what appeared to be a makeshift command center. The guards paired off in groups of three and four, standing in their small clusters as Malo assumed they began discussing their plans. She couldn't hear anything from where she sat. Fischer stood next to her, playing with a handgun out of boredom. A quiet alarm went off and each group slipped out. She had noticed the soldier had tossed a sniper rifle against his shoulder has he left with two of the guards following closely.

As soon as most men had left, Fischer ordered the two remaining men to tie her hands to the wooden chair. Her wrists were bound so tightly she began to lose feeling in her fingers. Still, she remained quiet. The less she complained, the sooner they would trust her. The more trust they had in her, the sooner she could make an escape.

"Don't think I can't see your little brain ticking away," Fischer said aloud. He turned to look at her, a smile on his face. "Everyone thinks as you do on their first day. You would be dumb not to think of a way to escape. Do not forget the collar around your neck, and the tracker in your leg."

She squeezed her eyes in hopes the tears wouldn't come. But of course they did. She'd forgotten about the tracker, even though the pain on her thigh from where it'd been inserted was still throbbing. 

One of the guards, a short brunette, held up a mirror to her face. She was shocked at the bruises that littered the left side of her face. Purple and black marks in the shape of a hand wrapped around her neck. But beyond that, she noticed she had light brown eyes, more of an amber. Her muddy brown hair was a mess, falling just past her shoulders. At some point the doctor had ordered the soldiers to tie her hair back to avoid it accidentally getting in one of her stitches.

"You see that? If you're a good girl and follow orders, you won't have to look that awful. You can be beautiful, if you tried."

'Thanks for the back-handed compliment,' Malo thought to herself.

"Oфицер Vassiliev said he is merciful, as am I. Koch, get her an apple and a piece of bread. If she finishes it all she can have your extra water."

"Herr-"

"Are you questioning me?!" Fischer's face distorted into something horrifying. His mouth frowned and sneered at the same time. A snarl left this throat. The sharp bones of his this face only made him appear more skeleton-like. It made sense as to how he managed to become a leader of this group. She'd fall in line if he looked at her in that way, too.

The soldier named Koch, an older man with wire rimmed glasses, stomped towards her after his initial fear wore off, throwing the apple and bread in her lap. She stared at Fischer, unsure how she was expected to eat. The officer sighed and turned towards his lackey once more.

"Feed her. She can't stitch the asset correctly if her hands are shaking from lack of food, der idiot." He began to fidget with something in his hands, placing it in his ear.

Koch grabbed the apple from her lap. He took a massive bite out of it before holding it in front of her face. Normally she might have turned her nose at sharing food with a stranger, but her stomach yelled at her to eat anyway.

"Come on, hund, eat."

Malo had to stretch her neck to get to the piece of fruit, but it was better than nothing. The sweetness of the apple burst across her taste buds, the juice dripping down her face. She closed her eyes to focus on the satisfying crunch of each bite. Koch was at least kind enough to turn the apple occasionally so she could finish it down to the core. When she was done, he tossed it over his shoulder.