"Alright, you two head out while the shields are down and I'll put them back up once you're out. I'll follow behind right after." I wasn't leaving the ship unshielded. I still didn't even at the Ontario base. Bianca gave her assent and Hudson lingered for a moment. "It's fine, boss." I glanced at him as I took off my harness. It wasn't necessary but I figured it made Bianca feel more secure so I wore it.

"I need one of those shield ports." He muttered it out and I smirked.

"Just say the word and I'll make you one, Riviera." That had him giving a loud groan as he followed Bianca to the back of the ship. I dropped the shields and it wasn't long before I heard the hatch opening and Hudson's call that they were out. I quickly turned the shields back on as I got out of the seat and moved to the back. My shielding was already up and I stepped through the hatch before hitting the outside panel, closing up the ship. I did a little giddy wiggle. I was going to see my family, I was so excited.

Hudson grabbed the top of my head and moved me so I walked beside him and I rolled my eyes but let him do it. A crowd was waiting for us at the edge of the airstrip near the buildings and a greying haired man stepped out. "I'm Major-General Matt Granier, Vice-Admiral Hollister gave us a call letting us know you would be stopping in for a bit. Glad to see you, Colonel Hudson, you enjoying your post?"

"Yes, sir." Hudson saluted him sharply.

"Bianca Hathaway." Bianca held out her hand and the General took it, giving it a firm shake.

"Pleased to meet you, Ms. Hathaway. Your reputation precedes you." He gave a firm nod at that and Bianca gave an almost vulpine grin at that. "And you must be Captain Matthews." The General's gaze landed on me and I stuck out my hand.

"Pleased to meet you." He took it and gave it a firm shake. "Thank you for helping keep my family safe. I really appreciate it." I really did and he gave a small bow of his head as he let my hand go.

"That's absolutely no problem, Captain." His eyes flicked to the ship and he gave a low whistle. "I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life." He shook his head slightly, a wry smile on his face. "A right fine ship. I know the Air Force would sell their own mothers to get their hands on it."

That had me laughing lightly, "They can join the Medical Corps if they want to try and play around with one that much."

He chuckled before nodding. "That they can, Captain." He turned to Bianca. "If I recall you're here on business, Ms. Hathaway. We have a boardroom set up for you and your partners. If you would follow Major Green, he will lead you to it." He gestured to a soldier behind him and Bianca nodded.

"Certainly." She glanced at me. "I will be just a phone call away if you need anything." I nodded at that and watched as she gestured to the Major and they both walked towards the nearest building.

"And you're here to get a temporary strike team, Colonel Hudson." The Major-General looked at Hudson, who was standing so straight I wondered if he would snap in half if he tried to bend over.

"Yes, sir." He gave a sharp nod at that.

"I'm certain we can find a team that will work with you until yours returns." The Major-General glanced at me. "And you're here to visit with your family if I recall."

"Yes, sir." I gave him a nod, resisting the urge to give an excited little dance.

"I hope you have a very good visit." He slowly smiled as he watched me.

"Aunty Roxie!" At the familiar voice I stiffened and then quickly looked around, trying to see her.

I spotted the seven year old running towards me and I nearly burst into tears. "Jesse!" I bolted towards her, my arms out and when she was in range I scooped her up, kissing all over her cute little face as she hugged me tightly around the neck. "I missed you! I missed you! I missed you!" She giggled as she tried to kiss me back and everything was blurry with tears and my knees went weak. I ended up crouched on the ground, her on her feet as I brushed her hair back from her face.

It All Started With Magnetsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें