Chapter Seventeen

July 2nd, 1666

"When do we move?"

"After we get the signal."

"There's more than one babe."

"Eh?"

"The women have two babes with 'em."

"Let's grab 'em both, then!"

"Nay! You ever been near a screaming brat?! Makes yer ears bleed, is what it does! Two screaming babes would make me want to kill 'em both!"

"The cook said the babe we want has fair hair. Only one of the brats over there has fair hair. We nab 'im by any means necessary. He said we can kill any of the servants but to try avoid killing the noblewomen. We need the babe...and Lady Diana."

"...Which one is Lady Diana?"

*

There was no warning.

Diana was enjoying the afternoon. She was out on the grounds of Northcutt Castle with Rosamund, Phoebe, Arabella, Toby, Henry, Apple, a few other servants and two armed guards who kept a close eye on them. The weather was clear and while it was warm there was a cool breeze blowing in from the south. It had been too long since she had spent time with all four of her sisters and her baby brother, and now she could enjoy the time with them in peace along with her son. Toby seemed very attached to his nephew, and always laughed and waved his arms when he saw Henry.

She couldn't remember the last time she had such a peaceful moment with her family. Ever since their mother died, and ever since their father's accident, there hadn't been a single day at Benton Manor where there wasn't an argument, or shouting, or tears. Diana had prayed for a moment like this—where everyone was sitting around talking and laughing with a positive air—for such a long time. Now that she finally had it, she didn't want it to end.

"We must be going home soon though," Rosamund sighed, shaking her head. "I very much enjoyed this time here with my nephew. And you of course, Diana," she added with a laugh.

"I want you all to come and visit as much as possible," Diana said. "My home is open to all of you."

"Father will not be able to travel as often anymore," Phoebe said bluntly. But I'm certain he will want to visit as much as he can. He likes this castle more than he likes the manor."

"Oh, I may as well visit while I can," Arabella huffed. "When I eventually go to court, I will not be able to see my sisters in the country so often!"

The other three sisters stared at her for a prolonged silence. "Is...London safe to travel to now?" Diana asked slowly.

Rosamund scoffed. "When has London ever been safe to travel to?"

"Milady!" Apple suddenly shouted, pointing towards the castle. Everyone turned, and Diana cried out in alarm when she saw black smoke slowly rising against the clear blue sky. "Fire!" she screamed.

"That's the Gatehouse!" one of the guards shouted, drawing his sword.

"What should we do?" Phoebe asked, looking towards Diana. Diana stammered, the panic quickly rising in her as she collected Henry into her arms. She didn't know what to do.

"Milady, stay with us," the second guard said, and he motioned for the servants to close rank around them. "This could be a—" his voice broke off when he was suddenly struck with an arrow in the throat.