Chapter Two

The maiden they passed on the road lingered in Gavin's mind as they approached Benton Manor, but once he laid eyes upon the property the girl left his mind. The mansion was certainly impressive but the structure and the grounds were slightly...unkempt. Lord Tobias Benton did not seem to care about the state of the place to impress upon company.

Though he suffered a broken back, and while he has a son the son is an infant. His other children are daughters, and would not be expected to participate in the upkeep.

Gavin saw farmhands and stablehands frantically running in all directions as their carriage approached. The decision to not notify House Benton that they would be coming to visit was already proving to be a mistake in Gavin's eyes. But he knew that this was his father's decision and he had no say in it.

The carriage pulled up to the main doors of the manor, where a fidgeting footman stood to receive them. "Lord William Northcutt, Lord Thomas Northcutt, and Lord Thomas's son Gavin are here to meet with Lord Tobias Benton on urgent business." The footman nodded wordlessly and raced into the house.

A few moments later as the three men were getting out of the carriage, a lovely young woman with curly brown hair wearing a light brown dress burst through the front door and curtsied to them. "W...Welcome to Benton Manor, my Lord. My Lord, my Lord." She directed her introduction to Thomas, William, and Gavin in kind. "I am Rosamund Benton, Lord Benton's eldest and the overseer of the Manor."

Rosamund. Gavin looked intently upon the woman with whom his family sought his great-uncle to marry. She was slightly disheveled, and he noted that she looked a little exhausted. But she looked healthy and she knew her manners. He glanced at his father and uncle and saw that by their expressions that they were already pleased with the young woman before them.

Good. Then we can be done with this quickly.

"Raymond will show your lordships in," Rosamund said, directing them all to come inside. "While you wait for my father, please help yourself to refreshments in our parlor."

The home was modest on the inside, but despite Rosamund's calm Gavin could still sense chaos from their sudden arrival. He could not help but feel a little embarrassed that they had very clearly imposed on the household for the the evening. The butler, Raymond, escorted them towards the parlor. As they headed down the short corridor, they passed a stairwell. "Why can't we go downstairs to see them?!" a young lady's voice complained loudly upstairs.

"We haven't had societal introductions yet, that's why!" another young woman's voice retorted sternly.

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to live with four young ladies in the same age group, Gavin thought. The parlor was a nice and comforting room with a cozy fireplace. William and Thomas sat down on one couch facing a low table and another couch by the fire. Gavin moved to stand behind their couch. Two maids rushed in, one carrying a tea-set and the other a plate of scones. "Begging your pardons, Milords," one of the maids said as they set they trays down on the low table. "Miss Rosamund asks that we apologize for the limited refreshments. The kitchen was prepping a birthday dinner earlier."

"These will do fine," Thomas reassured them.

"'Birthday dinner'?" Gavin asked before he could stop himself.

"Miss Diana's birthday," the other maid said. Then they hurried from the parlor.

So we imposed on this family during a birthday celebration. Lovely. Gavin glanced towards his father and uncle, but both wore expressions of indifference.

They were left alone for a few moments, and Thomas and William wasted so time discussing matters. "She is a fair maid," Thomas said. "Spirited, healthy complexion, wide waist. Even in his condition Uncle should have no problem getting her pregnant."