Chapter Thirteen 🔥

April 27th, 1666

Being in the home was becoming unbearable. Not only with the daily fighting between her father and Rafe, but Uncle Thomas recuperating there added to the overall stress. Rebekah remembered when he had arrived after his ambush; ashen-faced and bleeding heavily. They had little hope that Thomas would make it.

But thankfully Thomas had made it...and in no time added to the overall conflict occurring at home.

Rebekah sighed quietly as she stared off into space. It was a beautiful sunny day and she was sitting in a field not far from home. She was glad for the solitude and for the...quiet. Rarely was there any peace anymore.

Why can't we all just get along anymore? She ducked her head and tears filled her eyes. Oh...why there be constant fighting?

"Miss Rebekah?"

Rebekah's heart immediately settled and she looked over her shoulder. She could not help but smile as Jonathan approached her and sat down beside her. "Mister Jonathan," she said softly. "You have been visiting so often! You are almost living here now."

Jonathan smiled at her. "I come because I want to spend time with you, Miss Rebekah. But unfortunately, now will be a short visit, due to the situation with Diana."

"Lady Diana?" Rebekah's brow furrowed in confusion. "Is she in labor?"

"Not yet, thank God," Jonathan said. "The babe would be too early if she were in labor now. However the news is still not good. She has gone missing?"

"Missing?!" Rebekah exclaimed, pressing a hand to her throat.

"Northcutt Castle is in chaos," Jonathan said softly. "In addition to Diana's disappearance, it was discovered that Lady Florence has been drugged with hops for an undetermined amount of time. And one of the maids suffered a broken neck after she took a tumble down the stairs. I heard all about it when I arrived at your house. Your family is...in a state of disarray at the moment. Lord William and Lord Thomas are getting ready to depart."

The tears spilled out and Rebekah ducked her head. "Oh...why must we continue to have drama?"

Jonathan offered her his handkerchief. "I am sorry, Miss Rebekah. It seems that recently we only seem to meet in unpleasant circumstances." He shook his head. "I am afraid that these circumstances may be...tainting my courtship of you. We have so few positive interactions, and I—"

"Nay!" Rebekah reached forward and clasped his hands. "Nay, I very much enjoy these visits of yours! They are the only thing that bring me joy as of late!"

Jonathan looked stunned by her words. Rebekah flushed and looked away ."Ah...Mister Jonathan—"

"I loved you from the first moment I met you," Jonathan blurted out.

Rebekah gasped as her heart started racing, and she gaped at Jonathan in shock. His own face was flushed but he held her gaze. "I am thankful that my cousin wed your great-uncle, as it mean that I could meet you Miss Rebekah. You are the most beautiful and kind young woman I have ever met. I do not have much, and I know that I do not impress your parents. I was originally my Uncle Tobias's heir, being Toby was born. Had my uncle died without a male heir I would have become Lord of Benton Manor. As it stands I do not have much to my own name, but I...I do love you. And I would be honored to be your husband."

Tears filled Rebekah's eyes. She lunged forward and threw her arms around him, holding him tight. "I love you, too," she murmured. "And I am so pleased to know you, Mister Jonathan! I hope that my father will find you agreeable, but even if he does not, I want no other than you! I will run away with you if I must, but I want no one but you!"