Chapter Eight 🔥

Edmund's burial service occurred at nightfall. The moon was nearly full, bathing the countryside as they transported Edmund's coffin back to Northcutt Castle to lay him to rest in the crypts beneath the Castle. George himself was last down there when his father Richard had been laid to rest. Eleven generations of House Northcutt were buried there, and Edmund would be joining them.

George's jaw was sore from having clenched it so much that day. The family was acting extraordinarily smug towards him that day, even in the light of his uncle dying. They had even relegated him to the back row of carriages to return to Northcutt Castle. It was absolutely outrageous. He was Edmund's heir! He was supposed to be the acting Earl of Emerson! But instead of being the chief mourner and riding in the main carriage with Edmund's widow, he was riding behind the women!

Why were the women in this damn family allowed to attend the funeral, anyways?! he fumed to himself. Women do not attend public funerals because they are emotional and act like fools! Are my brothers so intent on shutting me out that they broke with tradition and invited the women to further attempt to isolate me?

At least he was pleased to see one of the women. Lady Diana, his uncle's widow, was quite possibly the most beautiful young woman he had ever met. She was also demure and...submissive. A fine lady who had been terribly wasted on his uncle, and his invalid uncle had been the one who took her virtue.

I almost cannot believe that Uncle Edmund pulled it off. The man didn't even have the energy to hold a fork at his own reception! But yet he had the energy to deflower a maiden?

George shook his head. It hadn't seemed possible, but he had seen the marital bedspread, and he had awoken to Diana's screaming the morning they discovered Edmund dead. Somehow...Somehow his uncle had pulled it off.

He may have taken her virtue...but there is no way he had the virility to put a baby in her. That means nothing threatens my position. George smirked to himself. The Countess will need to go through the usual mourning period, but even without her virtue she is still a rare flower. I will not allow her to get away.

But he didn't have time to mull over this further. As he idly glanced out the window he saw someone on horseback approach. George's brow rose as the rider drew closer and he realized that he recognized the man. "Stop!" he called to his driver.

The driver brought his carriage to a stop. As he was the last in line it did not impede other carriages. George leaned out the window to address the rider as he came to a stop beside the carriage. "Daw," he snapped, glaring at his business assistant. "How dare you come here like this! Do you not see that I am in mourning?!"

"Beggin' your pardon, Lord George," Daw said. He was missing so many teeth that he was almost spitting his words. "But this needs your immediate attention. I received word that one of our ships—it was taken by pirates."

"Pirates?!" George spat in disgust. "What business do those scoundrels have attacking an English ship?! Was our ship not flying an English flag, or were they flying a Spanish flag?!"

"Nay, it was English," Daw confirmed. "We're still trying to figure out what was lost, but with London in the state its in and the King here—"

"Shh!" George hissed at him. "Not so loud, you daft fool! The King cannot know about this shipment, or we'll be facing the chopping block!" He scoffed and looked ahead of him. Some of the carriages have stopped. "Driver," he called up. "We're returning to the Castle but keep the horses tied! I need to leave as soon as possible!"

"Yes, sir," the driver responded.

"I'll meet up with you south of here in an hour," George told Daw. He saw Thomas approaching on horseback and waved to Daw. "Get going, now!"