Chapter Ten 🔥

Her body moved of its own accord. Hands sliding up and down his bare back, hips rising and falling to meet each thrust. She arched her head back and groaned throatily, but then came back into herself and covered her mouth with her hand. Gavin turned his head towards her and gently pushed her hand away. "Let me hear it," he whispered. "I want to hear your enjoyment, my Lady."

Diana held his gaze as the familiar heat started building in her body. She squeezed her eyes shut as her breaths came faster—

Her eyes snapped open and she gasped. Her body was hot but she was mortified. Diana closed her eyes and focused her mind to relax. After a few moments her breathing evened and her heartbeat slowed. But she was not calm. "Dear me," she whispered softly.

Gilly and Apple were no longer bedding down with her. It was now apparent that George had "suggested" it to try and prevent her from becoming pregnant. Gilly and Apple would have surely noticed if a man came to her bed at night. Little did George realize that a man did come to her bed nightly while he was initially gone. Gavin. And now she carried his child in her body.

The plan had worked. But...

Diana pressed her hands to her stomach. It felt rounder than she remembered it being, but it did not seem real that she was with child. George had said that it was too soon, but the physician said that it was entire possible due to the conception date. She had been embarrassed to have everyone talk about her body in such a way, and she could not find any real joy in the situation. She had a baby...and she felt so alone.

Gavin...I have your baby. Diana closed her eyes as she felt tears start to build up. Gavin...I want to see you...

~*~

December 6th, 1665

There was no question. It was his son.

Gavin stared down at the dour-faced child who sat beside the fireplace, his heart pounding. The boy had light blonde hair, but the face that stared back at him was very nearly identical to Rafe's face. Their eyes were exactly the same. Gavin looked at Rafe, who was staring down at the child with wide eyes and an expression of horror. Gavin knew that Rafe was thinking the same thoughts as he.

"Allen!" The "spinster sister" who Francis had spoken disparagingly about stormed into the sitting room. "Stand to attention! These men are your betters!"

The child, Allen, rose from his seat and bowed respectfully to Gavin and Rafe. "...Good morning, Milord," he said quietly.

Gavin looked towards the aunt. "How old is he?"

"He will be turning five on the 17th," the aunt said curtly. "His father stopped sending allowances when my sister died last month. If he has no intention of paying for his bastard, then he can claim him as his son. I cannot afford the upkeep for the boy."

Rafe knelt down until he was eye-level with Allen. "You have a birthday near the Yuletide," he said with a smile. "Lucky boy."

Allen shrugged. "My birthday is my birthday."

"You're very well-spoken, Allen. Has your mother hired tutors for you?"

"My sister used some of the allowance to give him a tutor," the aunt scoffed, shaking her head. "The boy was reading before he started walking! Waste of money, of course. She often went hungry trying to teach him how to read!"

Gavin looked at her again. "May I speak to you in private, please?"

"I can't refuse a lord, can I?"

I'm not a lord. But Rafe spoke up, "Go on ahead, Gavin. I want to continue speaking to Allen."