Chapter Nine

When George returned, Gavin and Diana were quickly separated. The castle seemed none of the wiser of what they had been doing (as Diana had been in "solitude for her mourning"). Quite unfortunately Diana's family had left during this time and she had only had a moment for a brief goodbye with them.

"If you need anything, send word and I will help you," Rosamund promised her. Diana knew however that Rosamund had no position or power to assist her if she needed help, but Diana appreciated the reassurance.

When George returned, he tried to exercise his control as the heir to the Earl of Emerson and expel everyone save Diana from Northcutt Castle. Thankfully King Charles had lingered at the castle for the week that George was gone and had intervened. "Given the circumstances, there will be a postponement to the appointing of the Earl of Emerson. As the marriage was confirmed consummated, I will allow an assembly in the month of January to determine if a child was conceived. If by January Lady Diana is not with child, then Lord George will be declared the new Earl of Emerson. If, however, the Lady Diana is with child, then the postponement will last until the child is born."

"So there will be naught an Earl of Emerson in the interim, Your Majesty?" George said indignantly.

"I have been handling our dear Uncle George's matters ever since he fell ill," Thomas said coldly. "My wife Florence and I would be more than happy to maintain residency here at Northcutt Castle so that I may continue to be of assistance."

George scoffed. "And leave our father's manor without a lord? You worked so hard to get me disinherited from that and now you abandon your property?"

"Hugh is my heir," Thomas retorted. "And he is the proper age to be the acting lord of our father's properties. It is important for a father to be able to trust in his son, George."

George frowned deeply at him. "Indeed, Thomas."

"I think it's sweet," the King said blithely. "You two brothers have been apart for so long. This should be a good bonding experience for you both."

"What of the rest of your children?" George asked tersely.

"Katherine and Gavin of course will return home with Hugh," Thomas said easily enough. "Florence and I are still too young to have our children minding us."

"I will be returning to my estate as well," William announced.

"As will I," Francis said.

"I," Reginald said wearily, moving forward. "I would like request to remain here at Northcutt Castle with my wife Joanna."

"But Father—" Francis protested, but Reginald waved a knobby hand. "My health is not as good as it used to be and I would prefer not to travel much. It is autumn now and the air will get colder, and we do not want to impose on our only son at this time."

"So you'll impose on us then, Uncle?" George asked.

"I-I would be happy to have you here," Diana said quickly, moving forward. She looked towards Thomas and Florence. "I would be happy to have you all here." She hoped that her status as Countess would help give her word weight. "I would like as much company with me as possible while I mourn for the next year."

George forced an uncomfortable smile at her. "I would hate to deny such a request of a lady who is deeply in mourning."

Diana tried not to flinch as she curtsied to him. "Thank you, my Lord."

"But I am concerned about your health and wellbeing," George said. "After all, you suffered a terrible experience of losing your new husband so quickly. I would like to propose that you have bedmates, my Lady. Perhaps one or two handmaidens to bed down with her each night to ensure her health and safety? Especially since we will be waiting to see if a baby was conceived from their union."