Chapter Four

"Good heavens!" Arabella huffed, folding her arms over her chest as she paced the room. They were sharing the same room, and the servants had already left after unpacking their belongings. "Did you see Earl Northcutt, Phoebe? He is practically an invalid! I was jealous that Father chose Diana to marry off, but now I feel sorry for her!"

"You are being impudent, Arabella," Phoebe said. She was seated at the room's fireplace. "Be mindful of your tongue. We are guests in this castle and there are eyes and ears everywhere."

"Northcutt Castle is depressing," Arabella huffed, shaking her head and sitting down on one of the beds. "I would much rather be at court! I would love to be sponsored to go to court at the glorious palace!"

"Now, of all times?!" Phoebe asked incredulously. "Arabella, there is a plague afflicting London as we speak! People are dying in the streets there! Why do you think His Majesty is at Oxford and not in his glorious palace?! Nobody wants to be in London right now, except for you!"

"Oh you are such a bore!" Arabella spat, standing up. "I'll find a much better use of my time than—"

She was interrupted by a swift knock at the door. "Begging your pardons, miladies. Miss Katherine and Miss Rebecca wish to invite you both to tea in the parlor."

"We'll be there!" Arabella quickly responded as Phoebe rose from the rocking chair.

"Please wait for us," Phoebe called as Arabella looked through her dresses to change. "We don't know where the parlor is."

"Aye, Milady," the maid responded.

"Phoebe, will you not change as well?" Arabella asked her as she pulled out a dress.

"I see no point in it when the dress I'm wearing now is perfectly fine," Phoebe pointed out.

"Phoebe, you must give the impression that you own more than one dress! You will not make a good impression for your debut!"

"I am only making my debut at Diana's wedding because Father compelled me to," Phoebe retorted, swiftly sitting back down in the rocking chair. "Were it up to me, I would have gladly stayed home and sent Rosamund here in my place! But Father seems intent on punishing Rosamund for the rest of her life, and his pride will not allow him any compromise!"

"Rosamund created her own situation," Arabella said dismissively. "Rosamund is doomed to be a spinster because of her viperous tongue! She has no one to blame but herself!"

Phoebe glared at Arabella's back before sighing softly in exasperation. "Your lack of compassion for our eldest sister's situation makes me sorrowful. I hope that when you find yourself in a situation where your every decision is dictated to you and you have no control over your fate, that you understand what Rosamund is going through now."

Arabella huffed and shook her head. "That will never happen to me! I will marry a rich and handsome man and I will have a content life!"

Phoebe shook her head and rubbed at her forehead with her fingers. "I hope that you do," she murmured softly.

*

Love God, love your husband, love your children. No matter the strife may come your way.

Diana had often heard her mother Anna say that in the years before she died. She had thought that it was the philosophy she lived by, but now she wondered if it was a mantra Anna chanted to get through difficult situations. In the moment, sitting at Edmund Northcutt's bedside and watching the poor elderly man resting uncomfortably, Diana knew that this was to be her fate for the rest of her life. Tending to the sickly Earl of Emerson as more of a caregiver than a wife.