World Building

I'm back again! After a short break I decided I wanted to write again. A lot of the break was deciding which draft to start. I have a lot. But I picked and I'm writing. I hope you like my new story. I'm planning this book to be longer so I hope you're ready.
_____________________________________________

When Kai was eleven he presented. A year past what was normal.

He could hear the servants talking. The knights too.

He didn't understand what they were talking about when they wondered who he would marry. When they wondered whether he'd marry at all.

He's only eleven for First Spinjizu Masters sake! That's way to early to start talking about marriage.

He barely understood presenting much less what he presented as.

____——____——____——____——____——____

When Kai was fifteen he had his first heat.

It was excruciating. He hated every minute of it.

It was the worst pain he had ever experienced.

He understood years ago what he had presented as and hadn't thought much of it.

Now he wished he had been a beta.

____——____——____——____——____——____

Kai stormed through the halls of the castle scaring the servants he passed.

"Kai, please wait!" He heard his mother beg behind him.

"No mom! I'm not going to be some sort of sex slave to some random alpha I don't even know!" He yelled stopping and turning to his mother.

"Kai, you know that's not what this is. We're only doing this for the good of the kingdom." His mother said sternly. "And you know we aren't trying to make you a 'sex slave'. That's why we are letting you chose."

Kai did know that. But that didn't make him any happier about it.

"And you would be able to pick for yourself, but you never go outside. We give you freedom to go outside. On your own even! But you never go outside."

"But why does it have to be me?! Nya already has a mate picked out and she isn't even eighteen!"

Kai can't say he's very happy about Nya finding a mate. But the Omega boy she found seems good enough. What was his name again...? Jack? John?

His thoughts were interrupted by his mother speaking again.

"Darling. That's the problem. You know the age someone has to be for their coronation in twenty one. Nya is only seventeen. And you know me and your father haven't been well since the assassination attempt."

The assassination attempt. Someone had tried to poison his parents about two years ago. And well they survived, their health never fully recovered. And has even deteriorated over the past years or so.

"I just... I fear I won't live long enough to see Nya mated and her coronation."

"Mom! Don't say that! Of course you'll live."

"Thank you Kai. And also I'm afraid you will have more suitors in about an hour and half."

That succeeded in putting Kai in a foul mood once again.

He let go of his mother's hands (after realizing he had grabbed them) and stormed off again.

He burst into his bedroom, startling the maids cleaning it.

Without a word they scurried out taking their supplies with them.

Kai face planted onto the bed and groaned into his pillow.

He didn't want to get married. He just wanted to rule his kingdom peacefully. He didn't need someone else to rule!

But unfortunately the public didn't usually agree.

They thought alphas and omegas needed someone to rule to "balance out their emotions" which Kai personally thought was utter bullshit.

"Kai?" He heard a young voice call from his door.

Looking up to the door he saw a head of fluffy blond hair with neon green eyes.

His younger brother Lloyd.

He was adopted by Kai's parents nearly eleven years ago.

Lloyd's parents had actually been royalty but after a rebel attack on their kingdom, it left most of the kingdom dead.

Only two are known to have survived.

Lloyd, and the guard Lloyd's parents had assigned to protect Lloyd.

He had taken the one year old Lloyd across multiple kingdoms looking for a royal family who would take the small boy in.

He had been looking for royalty specifically because he was afraid that commoners would take advantage of Lloyd's royal lineage for their own personal gain.

He finally came to a kingdom willing to take the infant as their own. As well as the guard.

After all he did for Lloyd, Kai's parents thought it would be wrong to separate them. So they hired the guard and reassigned him as Lloyd's personal guard.

"Yeah Lloyd?" He called back.

"Are you okay? I saw you storming through the halls and you looked super mad."

Kai sighed. He didn't really want to get Lloyd caught up in his drama.

Sitting up on the bed and opening an arm to Lloyd, he said. "I'm fine Lloyd. Just some princey stuff I'm finding frustrating. Come'ere."

Lloyd walked as fast as he could without running into kai's arm and snuggled into his chest.

Looking down at Lloyd he silently sighed.

Lloyd was a late bloomer. He was almost twelve and still hadn't presented.

Kai could only hope Lloyd would present as a beta.

While anything would be better than Omega, being an alpha came with its own fair share of problems.

If Lloyd presented as either he would have to mate to potentially take over the kingdom.

As an Omega he would be seen as weak and incapable.

As an alpha he would be seen as mean and meat headed.

If he were a beta however, he would be seen as levelheaded and... Well, average, despite there being a much larger population of alpha and omegas.

Beta weren't forced to mate because there wasn't a fear of hormones getting in the way and needing someone to balance it out.

It was encouraged for purposes of producing an heir, but it wasn't forced.

But... Lloyd's sweet and meak nature did not make things look good for him.

People tended to show signs before they present. And that is typically how omegas act before presenting.

Kai can only hope that he's wrong.

He doesn't want Lloyd to have to go through the things he did.

Hearing soft snoring he looked down to see Lloyd had fallen asleep on his chest.

He gently pulled him off and tucked him into the bed.

Deciding he should probably get ready for more suitors he left for the bathroom.

It was going to be a loooong day.
_____________________________________________

I was going to take a longer break but I wanted to get this out for Christmas.

So here I am. Posting Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas to anyone who celebrates it.

Happy holidays to anyone who celebrates something else.

And to anyone who doesn't celebrate anything this time of year... Well, I just hope you have a good day.

Hope you enjoyed what I have of this book.