6. ɴᴇxᴛ ꜱᴛᴇᴘꜱ

(Third Person POV)
-
Supply Store
-

Looking back and forth between the list and the aisles, DJ tried to find what _nala needed. Apparently, he wanted to do something physical, and not completely online this time, even if completely online plans were safer.

"There. You passed them." Chosen spoke up.

He had brought Chosen along on his phone to help him out, since he knew more about this business than himself. Taking a few steps back, DJ grabbed the right types and carried them.

"I wonder what these are even for." DJ thought out loud.

"Me too. I just hope he tells us soon."

"Right. What is the cover plan again?"

"He sent Purple and King out to get insight on the Resistance, and take back a member to press them and see what they know."

"What will they do with that member after?"

"Don't know, but we're probably not gonna let them go."

"Right."

It was quiet for a second as DJ walked.

"I'm curious, how did you and Nal meet?" Chosen looked up.

"Well, we met our freshman year in high school, were friends til graduation, then I went missing. I helped him fend off a few bullies and we bonded."

"Why'd you go missing?"

"Meh.. it's a touchy subject. Let's just say I ran away from problems."

"Ah. Sorry."

"Nah, you're fine. So what happened during college?"

"Well, me and two other sticks were drawn a few weeks after he started to keep him company since he didn't have you. We were fine until his last year, then.. that was the year he lost an eye, he got really bad."

"Do you know how he lost it?"

"No, all we knew is that he was so broken about it, and that something went wrong during the weeks he was away."

"I see."

"Yeah. It's a part of the reason he became _nala, even. His first hack was an act of revenge, from what I know."

"Oh."

Revenge. Such a bold word. He still couldn't believe that he'd actually done all that. It seemed nearly impossible. The Alan he knew was completely different. He felt a little concern, but brushed it off. However he had a feeling that small bit of concern wouldn't be the last.

...

Hooking his phone on the stand, DJ sat in the driver's seat and shut the door, yawning.

"How the hell do you guys stay up so late? You guys were up all night talking, I could barely sleep myself."

"Practice."