5. ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴠᴇʀ

(Third Person POV)
-
Stick City, Alley
-

Victim smiled and took off his hoodie entirely. A set of exoskeletal wings with separate dark, metal feathers unfolded. The tip of each feather was golden. The wings were attached to two black wristbands that had a line of gold in the center that shone when activated. Pressing a button on them, a small holographic screen visualized in front of him.

"It'd be a lie to say that I'm not a fan. You've inspired me to study the enemy. All these years of information and insight that I've collected is because of you. On top of it, I've studied you all, too."

"That's.. weird, but ok." Green commented.

"Yeah, I admit it is, but due to my studies, I've been able to identify strengths and weaknesses of both parties. So, with my help, I can advance your current strengths, and we can hit at _nala's weak points. It helps that I knew _nala personally too."

"Woah, woah, woah.. you knew him?" Second spoke.

"Yep. I'm his creation. We go back... 15 years? I think. Yeah, about 15. I knew Chosen, too.. and someone else. Not important, but we all knew each other. I was shocked to hear the leader of the Resistance was also one of his creations, even if you were drawn for a different purpose than me. That's why I also believe that Chosen isn't there on his own will. But, we'll get to that later. For now, here's some information. _nala hijacked a ride and is now staying with the driver at a nearby hotel. Police found no traces of him in his old house besides the fingerprints left by his gloves, which are false fingerprints leading to a random police member. I've looked into _nala's bank account and I've noticed recent purchases of physical wiring and a new wireless VR headset. I don't know why they're working together. DD works with people who pay him, but there hasn't been any payment towards him from _nala himself. I can only assume they're related in some way, but I can't draw connections to anyone. Anyways, he plans to attack a random site tomorrow. From the blueprints I've accessed, they've made new viruses all the way up to, what I'd consider, Tier 15. This attack will be a mere test run, because he doesn't expect you guys to know he's back."

"15? What do they do?"

"From 12 to 15, they're all resistant to your current tech, even Second's powers would only scratch them. Sure, you wouldn't die to them, but your team members would. Your armor needs serious upgrades. They're able to become undetectable, run in the background, ultimately invisible. You will need new tech to detect them, or you guys could be ambushed and easily killed. They can freeze processes, bend code without even infecting it, duplicate themselves, crash programs, and kill you in one swipe. I'm sure there are way more features I haven't listed, but those viruses are so much worse than the ones you have been dealing with. That's why I had to catch you as soon as I could."

Second sighed.

"Green, tell the others we're back in war, and tell them to report back at base as soon as they can. Victim, I'll lead you to our place, I assume you'd like to set up there with us."

"Yeah, that'd be useful. Just let me fly by my apartment and grab my stuff."

...

-
The Resistance's Hideout
-

The other three were disappointed, but they understood well that they had to return to work. They hoped their break would have lasted longer, but alas, they picked up their weapons and armor once again.