Growing close pt. 4

"Happy Birthday, Yue!"

The chorus of the tribe rang around the ballroom of the ice palace.

Yue held her practiced smile, grateful for her father's care but a little put off by him making it a grand spectacle.

She spoke softly but clearly, "Thank you."

Arnook smiled at his daughter and turned back to the crowd, "13 years ago on this day my daughter was saved by Tui. Let's dance and feast today to celebrate the gift the spirits gave us!"

The crowd roared and the music started playing, Yue sat next to her family feeling a little uncomfortable.

Ulna looked at her daughter and sighed, "I know it seems like a lot Yue but this is good for you. There are only 3 years left before your engagement ceremony, this will be a good chance for you to meet some of your suitors."

Yue tried to keep her face still to not show her discomfort at the idea, "Thank you, mother. I will try."

Ulna sighed, knowing her daughter was still nervous about the engagement ceremony in 3 years.

She will grow to the idea... hopefully.

She was pulled out of her thoughts as her husband asked her for a dance, leaving her daughter and son by themselves.

Tekka leaned over to Yue, "Hey sis, happy birthday. You know I'd give you the best present but there are only so many whale bones I can carve."

Yue laughed, "Don't worry about it Tekka, you're whale carving last year makes up for it. And the whale carving the year before, and the whale carvi-"

"Okay Okay don't rub it in." Tekka huffed.

Yue laughed and spotted Mira in the crowd. She looked toward Tekka and saw him blatantly staring at her.

She snorted, He's so obvious.

She leaned over and pinched his arm, getting a very un-prince-like yelp in response.

Tekka looked back at Yue, blushing at her smirk and knowing look.

Yue chuckled, "You should hurry up and ask her for a dance Tekka. Even Tui can see how much you want to."

Tekka sighed, "Are you sure, it's your birthday? I don't want to leave you alone for it."

Yue smiled, grateful for her brother's care.

"It's fine Tekka, mother said I'm supposed to meet other suitors anyway. This will be a good chance to do so."

Tekka nodded, "Thanks, sis. You're the best."

She watched with a knowing smile as Tekka went to Mira and asked for a dance.

They're so cute together.

She was instantly pulled out of her good mood by a voice behind her, "Hey Yue, you look a little lonely here. Don't worry, I'll keep you company."

Ugh! Hahn.

She turned around and faced Hahn, trying to hide the disgust on her face. He was holding out his hand for a dance.

Yue spoke clearly, "I think I'll be fine by myself Hahn. I'm not in the mood for a dance."

Hahn frowned, "Well you don't have a choice, Yue. You should learn to dance with your fiancée, it's only fair."

Yue's eyes twitched in anger, "You're not my fiancée Hahn, so I don't owe you anything."

She turned to leave but was pulled back by Hahn's grip on her arm, pulling her against him as he dragged her to the dance floor, "Oh please Yue, I'm one of the best warriors in the tribe. Our families are already close, and getting married would help the tribe grow stronger. You know our fathers are already talking, it would be better for everyone if you just accept it."