Northern Water Tribe pt. 1

Zuko groaned as he woke up on Appa, rubbing the sore spot on his back

Fuck the Northern Air Temple.

They had just left the temple of refugees and were heading toward the Northern Water Tribe.

Zuko wanted to say the temple was interesting, the last time he went there it certainly was.

But no, he got locked in a closet by a crazy scientist that recognized him because he worked for the Fire Nation.

I can't believe he locked me in there while everyone else fought off a literal invasion. And he wondered why I punched him after I got out. What did he expect? You don't lock people in closets and not get punched for it.

He clicked his tongue at the old inventor, wishing he hit him harder as they traversed a seemingly endless ocean.

Katara was the one steering as he woke up, turning to look at him as he got up.

"Hey Zuko, you get some good sleep in. I know Appa's a little jittery but I think he's better than a closet."

Zuko clicked his tongue, "Should've taken that inventor with us. See how he likes sleeping somewhere he isn't used to."

Katara laughed as Zuko got up to take his turn at the reigns.

Katara grew used to Zuko's presence after they talked at the flower stand. She considers him a friend now and as a good friend, she could tell he was nervous about something.

"You ready to get to Agna Qel'a? We'll probably be there in a couple of hours."

Zuko sighed, not enjoying how much of an open book he was being right now.

He thought back to Yue and the last time he saw her. He was going to see her again, he was going to fulfill his promise and give her the knife he promised her.

He wondered how much she changed. She was beautiful three years ago, he can only imagine she's grown even more beautiful now.

I hope she kept practicing her bending. It probably would have been hard without the Oasis, but she was determined she could do it.

He wondered how she would react to him. He had changed a lot since they last saw each other.

He touched his scar and wondered if she would be repulsed by it. He never saw the draw of his golden tattoo when he had it but he knew it looked 1000 times better than the scar he wore now.

Will she think it's ugly? Will she not care? Will she be married and none of it will matter?

He fiddled with the knife as he answered Katara's question, "To answer your question, no, I'm not ready to go to Agna Qel'a."

Katara watched as he fiddled with the knife he always had on him, she assumed it was from the mystery person he had in Agna Qel'a, but she didn't want to pry.

Katara hummed, "Are you scared about seeing your friend again?"

Zuko flinched, "Is it that obvious?"

Katara snickered, "Yupp. Even a blind person could tell."

Zuko groaned, not liking that his dilemma was amusing to Katara, "Yeah, I'm scared to meet her. I haven't seen her in three years. A lot has changed since then."

Katara nodded, understanding that a lot could change in a couple of years. It had been 2 years since she saw her dad and she was completely different from how she was when he left.

"I understand. Three years is a long time, but if this person is that special to you, then you should trust that they'll be happy to see you. You've been looking forward to this for three years, maybe she is too."