Northern Water Tribe pt. 3

Yue sat in front of her parents, trying her best to appear like she was reflecting her actions, even though she kept holding the knife in her hands and grinning.

He kept his promise.

She was pulled out of her bliss as her father and mother sat down in front of her, seemingly ready to start the interrogation.

Arnook looked at the object in Yue's hand that Zuko had tried to give her.

He spoke with a firm tone, "Yue, what did that boy give you?"

Yue flinched and moved her knife into the pocket of her parka.

They're not taking this away from me.

She answered calmly, putting all of her acting skills to work, "It's a fan from his home. It's always hot there so they use it to cool off."

Yue held her father's gaze as it focused on her, seemingly not believing her lie.

Arnook was about to confront her about it but his wife cut him off, "Yue what's going on? Why are you saying Tui introduced you to him? Even if he's the Avatar's teacher he's a Firebender."

Yue took a deep breath and prepared herself to argue with her parents.

She spoke firmly, "I'm not lying. Tui introduced me to him in a dream 4 years ago. We saw each other every night for about a year."

Yue watched as her mother's eyes widened in shock and her father's eyes narrowed in disapproval.

Arnook spoke, "Why have we only been informed of this now?"

Yue grit her teeth, "Because I knew you two would freak out if I told you. You wouldn't be able to stand the idea of Tui introducing me to a Firebender."

Arnook clenched his fist, "Because they are dangerous Yue! Who knows what he could've done to you!?"

Yue clenched her jaw, "He didn't do anything to me. He was kind and sweet and helped me. He has treated me better than any of the so-called suitors you introduced me to!"

Yue brought it up because she knew that's all they were really mad about. They hated that Tui might have engaged her with someone that was from the Fire Nation. They wanted her to stay in the Tribe forever, she couldn't do that if Tui engaged her to Zuko.

Even if Tui didn't engage them, she still loved Zuko so she wasn't going to give up. Convincing her parents that Tui wanted her and Zuko to be together was the best chance she had.

Arnook leveled his daughter with a grim stare, "We introduced those suitors to you because you have a duty to the Tribe. You will marry for the betterment of your people."

Yue froze the table she was gripping, "Are you just going to ignore what Tui wants? She saved my life dad, she has more say in it than you do!"

Yue watched as her parents' eyes widened in shock.

Arnook clenched his fist in anger, "Tui may have saved your life, but she left it up to me to keep you safe. You won't be safe with a Firebender, the Avatar's teacher or not."

Yue clenched her fist, "That's not fair!"

Arnook stood up, "It doesn't matter if it's not fair! You are not getting engaged to a Firebender! End of discussion!"

Ulna watched her daughter and husband fight with worry.

Yue's never been this stubborn about anything...

Ulna looked at her daughter's desperate face, realizing Yue probably hasn't wanted anything as much as she wanted this before.

Ulna spoke up, "Why don't we visit this after Mira and Tekka's wedding? It will give us time to see if this Firebender means us any harm, and it will let everyone enjoy the wedding without causing a commotion."