Childhood pt. 1

Zuko was bored.

His father had taken Azula to train and his mother was asleep.

He wasn't allowed to train with Azula since he couldn't bend fire, yet.

I want to train with them though.

All of his tutors had kept telling him about how he was blessed by Agni when he was born. The sages thought it was a sign of a new firebending prodigy, but he was seven and still hadn't been able to bend yet.

Azula started bending a month ago, and she can already bend blue fire. The blue fire was so cool! They said that no one had a blue fire since Sozin.

Zuko wanted to start bending so he could bend cool fire as Azula could. He wanted to bend so that people would stop whispering behind his back.

He wanted to bend so he could stop disappointing his father.

He always called him a waste of Agni's blessing. Telling him how Azula was born lucky and he was lucky to be born.

He sighed, preferring not to think about it.

He was walking when he heard someone yell at him from the courtyard.

"Hey! Is that my baby cousin I see?"

"Lu Ten!"

His older cousin came up to him and tackled him in a hug.

"Lu Ten, what are you doing here?"

Lu Ten chuckled, looking at his little cousin's excited face.

Just like every time he saw him, Lu Ten couldn't help but take notice of the beautiful golden birthmark adorning his cousin's face. He ruffled his little cousin's hair as Zuko giggled.

"Well, I'm actually here on a super important mission from my master."

Zuko gasped, A super important mission. I want to do a super important mission.

"What mission are you trying to do?"

Lu Ten looked around, making sure no one was in the vicinity.

"Well, I'm not supposed to tell anyone. But since you're my baby cousin I think I'll make an exception. But only if you promise to keep it a secret."

A super important SECRET mission. Now I have to know.

Zuko nodded his head as fast as he possibly could.

I can keep secrets. Sure I'll tell mom later. And maybe Azula if she isn't mean. But other than that I can keep secrets.

"I promise, I won't tell anyone, except maybe one or two people."

Lu Ten laughed, thinking it funny how his cousin wasn't able to lie.

"Alright then. Well, since I've come all this way I'll tell you. My master Piandao is looking for a new student. And I told him I knew of a strong little kid that happened to have a lot of free time and wouldn't mind learning."

Zuko's eyes widened.

"Me?"

"Yupp, you got it, baby cousin."

Zuko's first reaction was to get excited before he looked down remembering what his dad said about swords.

"I can't. Father said that it was disgraceful for Firebenders to use swords. He said only weak ones use them."

Lu Ten sighed, knowing full well how much of a prick his uncle could be.

"Well, Zuko, I already got permission to have Piandao train you. Straight from grandpa so uncle Ozai can't stop you. Besides, I use swords and you don't think I'm a bad bender right?"