Growing Close pt. 3

Beginne am Anfang

Maybe we can skip training today and just play Paisho. I don't want to drain him if he had a long day.

She heard movement behind her and instantly perked up, turning around to see Zuko looking away from her.

Odd.

"Hey Zuko, you took a little longer than usual. Did you have a long day?"

Zuko nodded, not bothering to answer her as he turned his back to her and started feeding the turtle ducks.

Yue frowned, What's going on? I thought he stopped being awkward around me, or at least the dead silent type of awkward.

Yue sat next to Zuko, frowning as he still wouldn't look at her.

She huffed, "What's going on Zuko? Why won't you look at me?"

He doesn't hate me right?

Zuko ignored her and hoped she would just drop it.

Yue looked down, Did I do something wrong?

She thought back to how Tekka stopped hanging out with her as much. She figured it was because he was busy, but Zuko was doing it too now.

Maybe I'm just annoying to be around...

Yue mumbled, "Sorry. I'll leave you alone then."

She walked to the other side of the Oasis and played with the river water.

.......

Zuko heard Yue's mumbles as she moved away from his side.

He felt guilt sink into his gut at how sad she sounded.

He clenched his teeth and tried not to look back at her.

I can't. She'll see the bruise and then she'll start asking questions. I've been able to hide the other ones because I have long sleeves, I can't hide the one on my face. It'll only be a few days then everything will be back to normal.

He sat and looked at the turtle ducks, trying not to think of how lonely it felt.

..........

Yugoda watched as Yue silently went through her healing lesson.

She hadn't seen the girl so sad in a while.

She knew that Yue had a hard time making friends, and with Tekka becoming so busy lately she figured Yue may struggle.

Months ago she did exactly that, moping around everywhere and locking herself in the Oasis.

But Yue had seemed fine recently. She even seemed happier than she had been in a long time.

Now though, Yue was glumly going through her lessons, not sparing any of her usual enthusiasm.

After the third time Yue misdiagnosed an injury Yugoda knew she should have been able to heal, Yugoda had enough.

She spoke softly, "Yue, what's going on? I haven't seen you this upset in months."

Yue sighed, "It's nothing Yugoda."

Zuko just hasn't looked at me in days and Tekka has been busy so now I'm just alone again.

Yugoda clicked her tongue, "We both know that's a lie child."

Yue snapped, "Fine. I'm lying. I'm a liar. Apparently, I'm annoying too because he doesn't want to speak to me anymore. He won't even look at me."

Yugoda flinched back, a little surprised at Yue's outburst.