Lord of the flies essay

The evil inside : a lord of the flies essay

this is something I wrote for school and I really enjoyed the book lord of the flies so I decided to post my essay just for fun <33

In the novel " lord of the flies " by William Golding, a group of young school boys are left stranded on an island when the plane they were aboard crashes, leaving them too fend for themselves. savagery quickly becomes a problem though, causing tragic incidents that could have all been prevented.

first of all, jack merridew, as one of the most important characters is the first too demonstrate his savagery. He somehow manages too come up with a chant too sing for celebration when killing something. " kill the beast! cut his throat! spill his blood! do him in! " ( Golding.168 ) this quote was presented in the book a lot, considering jack had a blood lust and just wanted kill. The chant was something that clearly stood out in the novel, especially because it had a big part in Simon's death, who is another major character in this novel. not only was the murder of simon concerning, it also leads to the major breaking point for the boys on the island.

once the group of boys started turning against eachother, the island was filled with nothing but control and savagery. " then the Chief held up his hand " we shall take fire from the others " ( golding.178 ) the violence from the boys starts becoming consistent. Jack merridew is almost always the one too take his violence out on the other boys, suggesting too his tribe that in order too get fire, they would need to attack piggy late at night and steal his specs. Because of the attack on Ralph and Piggy's group, they choose too retaliate.

Ralph, as the leader of his group chooses that the best option for not only Piggy's sake but for the rest of the group remaining is too get back at jacks tribe for what they've done. Jack and his tribe have become pure savages at this point and have no sympathy for the boys on the island who still have pure intentions. " you played a dirty trick! We'de have givin you fire if you'd ask for it! " ( Golding. 196 ) This quote from Ralph shows that he truly wasn't as cruel as other boys and knew right from wrong. He stood up for his group and knew that Jack's intentions were horrible. The reaction from jacks tribe proves the boys have no care and are completely mad. In conclusion, the island has no rules whatsoever and the boys have the ultimate control over every situation.

although the boys started off in a responsible matter, being left alone on a deserted island with no adults have most likely caused huge amounts of trauma on the boys, causing the odd behaviour they had shown. Jack's manipulation guided the boys to savagery. He maintained control throughout the book and influenced the tragic deaths of piggy and Simon, proving just how savage he has made the island become.