A Plan for Action- 49

"I came as fast as I could. The Fatui were holding me up, I suspect they are getting suspicious of us," Jean is breathless, her hair disheveled after running into her office. She finds Diluc pacing the room, books scattered on the floor- books on alchemy and Rhinedottir. "What is all this?"

"We need to find out what's going on and fast. I've also called the Traveler to help us, any information they have we can take. Kaeya is with Albedo and that damn dragon. I can't lose more than I've already lost, not again." Diluc weaves his hand through his hair. He looks anxious and very tired.

Jean sighs and walks over to him, "I think what you need is a break. I can take over. And with the honorary knight this shouldn't be much of a problem."

Diluc slumps down on the couch, a begrudging sigh escaping him. "I can't believe it. After all these years we're working together to fight my brother. I told myself it would never happen again but I guess once is never enough in his book."

Jean raises a brow, picking up the books from the floor and stacking them on the table. "What do you mean by that?"

He looks away, a tell-tale sign that he's pushing his feelings down, a secret hidden under his chest. "I did kind of fight him before I followed him up Dragonspine, just to find him with Albedo in his cave. They were talking about something that had to do with Mondstadt. I can only assume it's about destroying the city because Albedo said he didn't want to hurt anyone."

She shakes her head, "I believe the best course of action is to take Albedo in. I've been observing the fatui and they seem to know something that we don't. They might get to him before we do."

He nods, thinking about the possibilities and consequences of their decisions, "That also doesn't take the abyss into account. They definitely have a hand in bringing Durin back, to help him destroy Mondstadt," He stands and picks up one of the books off of the stack, "I've looked into Rhinedottir and I've barely found anything. She just disappeared and there's barely anything written about her. That's incredibly suspicious."

Before Jean could add on, the door swings open and the Traveler walks in. "Is this about Albedo?" They ask. Paimon floats around the office and puts her hands on her hips, "We've been so busy with Sumeru that we haven't been able to be much help. Sorry about that." She sticks out her tongue and sheepishly laughs.

Jean smiles, "It's quite alright, all that matters is that you're here now."

Suddenly, Venti and Dainsleif walk into the office and everyone immediately goes quiet. "We have both come to destroy the threat. Though I don't bother with the gods, we've decided that this was for the best," Dainsleif says this with conviction but he doesn't look at Venti at all when he does.

"I did enjoy Albedo's company but there isn't a safe way to separate Durin from his body. Their souls have essentially fused. There is only one antidote that could possibly dissolve Durin's soul from the inside out but it's almost impossible to get. I'm afraid the only option would be to..." Venti looks down, not having the courage to say it aloud.

Diluc walks over to Venti, his arms crossed and he looks livid. "You finally decided to show up and do your job as a god?"

"I only decided this because the city is in peril. Other situations don't call for me and as the god of freedom I don't want to meddle in the affairs of my people."

Diluc grabs him by the collar, "But you saw this coming, you knew this was going to happen but you let it fester until it got too much. Now we don't know what to do other than kill him."

The Traveler grabbed Diluc's arm and twisted it slightly, Diluc writhes and pulls his arm away. "Don't. We have to act smart and fast. We don't have time to be arguing."