The Truth in a Lie - 45

Kaeya feels his breath hitch as he takes in the sight of the abyss. Strangely, there's a sense of nostalgia when he stares out across the sky. When he looks ahead of him, a large figure is hunched over. Its wings flap pathetically as it groans, almost as if it's in pain.

It is no doubt Durin, or possibly Albedo (Kaeya really doesn't know) so he slowly approaches the figure. "Hey, are- are you alright?" His voice is unsteady and unsure.

Upon getting closer, the figure isn't groaning in pain but in sorrow. Kaeya leans down and slowly rubs his back. The figure momentarily stops and gazes up at him, "I- I'm so scared."

Kaeya strokes his hair and leads his hand down to his cheek, it's gentle and loving. "I know, but no one is here right now but me. I'm here Albedo, you can talk to me." The captain gives him a small smile.

And Albedo smiles too, he looks more like himself now than he did when Kaeya saw him in that cell. It's sad now that Kaeya really thinks about it, he realizes just how selfish it was to yell at him to leave. They were both going through it but Albedo especially had a difficult time, along with being kidnapped and tested on does something to the mind. Kaeya regrets sending him off on such an awful note, to suffer in a cell alone without anyone there to help him.

So he pulls Albedo in the tightest embrace, hot wet tears fall from his eyes, "I'm so sorry Albedo, I shouldn't have shouted at you."

Albedo shakes his head, "No, you don't have anything to apologize for. I was the one that was in the wrong. I lashed out at you just because I felt like I didn't know you," he pulls away slightly, "But I was so wrong about it all. You were there for me and I was blindsided by my anger to see it. You are amazing Kaeya, in every way. I don't know what I'd do without you."

And it was just them, in the abyss and alone. But they were alone together.

They both were crying but it felt good, to hold each other without the world to interrupt them. The world wasn't here to tell them who to be or what to say. The stars overhead twinkled as their sobs echoed throughout the abyss. It was almost beautiful, two tragic lovers finally being able to breathe.

"What will happen now?" Kaeya whispers just for him.

Albedo grimaces, "He's still here, and he's only growing stronger. I don't think anything will stop him. I don't have much of a choice now, there isn't enough time to find the cure."

Kaeya rests his forehead against the Alchemist's, "Albedo, I will go through the ends of the earth to find the cure for you."

Albedo smiles, but it's tainted with sorrow, "I know and I'm so sorry but I really-" he chokes on a sob, "I really don't think there's anything we can do."

He breaks, his expression shatters and he leans against Kaeya as he lets himself go. Everything that he's been holding in, every smile and determination he held onto finally washed away. He was devastated because he knew how hopeless he was. Everything about his state of being was ugly and broken, there was nothing he could do to fix it. He wouldn't be able to give Klee the brother she deserved, he wouldn't be able to live the long life he longed for with Kaeya. There was nothing he could do. But he couldn't express it into words, so his sobs and wails did it for him.

Kaeya felt it, felt just how much Albedo wanted to live a normal and happy life. But he also felt Albedo's submission to idea that he will never truly live that life. And Kaeya holds onto him, as if the Archons would rip his love from his arms. Curse Celestia for such a cruel world.

"I love you Albedo, so much. Don't ever forget how much I love you."

And Albedo grips onto him, "I won't, I-I love you too. I just..." he whimpers, "I don't want to leave you here."